• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filters for Landscape & Water Photography

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions on filters for landscape and water photography. I currently run a Canon Rebel Xsi with the 18-55mm, 75-300mm, and sigma 150-500mm. After reading up on ND and GND filters I am wanting to give some a try. I don't have a large budget at the moment for more photography gear. Can anyone suggest any sets or certain filters in particular that would be a good starting point at a decent price?

Thanks for the help

Thanks for adding the equipment information to your post, that really helps! I would take a look at a semi good quality filter like Tiffen and go with a graduated .6 filter. Take a look at your size of the lens I don't recall of the top of my head the filter size (58mm?)on those lens but with landscapes you are likely going to be using the 18-55.

As you likely read in the other thread, and by the way sorry I suggested starting a new one I thought you were looking at lenses and other equipment! The .6 will give you a full two stops difference. In that filter size you should be able to buy one for about $45. Start with just one filter and try it out and see how much you will use it. As you find more uses for the filters you can add what yo need. Better than buying and not ever touching them!

I mainly use GND for landscapes and one ND for outdoor flash work. Your uses will vary! Thanks for asking the question, hope that helps some and if you need more info don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks Dbl for the quick response. My question on the other post was pretty vague so no worries. I had been looking into the Tiffen filters so glad to hear that they are an alright option in my price range.

I see in some of the kits UV/Polarizer/fluorescent filters are thrown in. Is there any need for these?

I no longer use UV filters, I think they impact quality and at times mess with focus. Polarizer is a nice thing to have but buy it separate and quality matters with them as well, I mean spend a bit more to get a quality one. Fluorescent you really don't unless you shoot indoors all the time under fluorescent lights and you can easily use a custom white balance or use the fluorescent setting on your camera to accomplish the same thing.