• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford Ranger starting problems

My son has a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 with 60,000 miles on it. It usually starts first turn every time but every 3 months or so it will not start. It will turn over and not fire, its not flooding but seems starved for fuel. He will let it sit for a day and the next day it will start the first crank again. Every time it acts up he brings it in and, of course, it starts every time for the dealer and they don't know what to do. Changed plugs, wires, fuel sensor. could the fuel pump be faulty? Very frustrating, any possible answers?

When it happens next time, have him watch the check engine light, does it come on with the key on? If it does, does it go off while cranking the engine over? If the light comes on, and goes off, this means the computer powers up, and is getting a usable signal from the crankshaft sensor for rpm.

When it doesnt start, take a can of flammable carb spray, or brake cleaner, and spray it in the air cleaner, does it start, or run while spraying carb spray? If so, a fuel pump is probable.

I used to have a 98 Dodge grand caravan. It had interminent starting issues. I googled it and found a bad ground on the instrument cluster was the culprit.

You could drive it around town for months with no problem. Come out of work at the end of the day or after lunch and no go. Let it sit 3 hours and she would fire right up and run with no issues.

Later on it started to have the tach and speedometer go nuts and dash lights as well went nuts. Resoldered the grounds on the insturment cluster and everything was back to normal..... whatever that is for a Dodge Grand Caravan.......

I would do a search and see if that is of any help.

Steve