• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery drain

Hi Fellas. 91 chev silverado. 350 motor. 145 k miles.

After sitting a couple of days, the battery is dead. This has happened with a couple different batteries so I'm pretty sure it's not a battery issue itself. I've looked into the obvious things like making sure dome lights are not on, brake lights not on, headlights not on, etc. Something is slow draining this thing. Interestingly, the same time this started the temp control button decided to only work when it feels like it. Connected issue? I don't know.

What/where does a guy start looking to find what's draining the battery?

Thanks.

Hook up an amp meter in series on either the negative or positive side of the battery and see where your at. Anything over .050 amps is to much. Likely you will see more than .250 amps if it is draining that fast.

Start pulling fuses until the draw goes away. Then focus on that circuit.

Note, take picture(s) of the fuse panel before you remove the fuses. It will make life a little easier putting the right fuses back in place.

I just remove/replace the fuses one at a time, so there's always only one fuse out of place while I'm checking current draw.

Another tip, Eric -- be sure to let it sit a few minutes between reconnecting power (with your current meter in place) and actually checking the current to declare what your parasitic draw is. With a vehicle of that vintage I don't know how much you'll have this issue but with my 2001 impala, it had a pretty hefty current draw right away when I hook up a battery (like maybe 350 milli-amps or more). Several minutes later it would settle down to reasonable values. I think it was just all of the on board computers and sensors getting booted up and settling down. Hook it up and go have a beer. If you still have a large current draw 10 minutes later, then start the investigation.

I just remove/replace the fuses one at a time, so there's always only one fuse out of place while I'm checking current draw.

Another tip, Eric -- be sure to let it sit a few minutes between reconnecting power (with your current meter in place) and actually checking the current to declare what your parasitic draw is. With a vehicle of that vintage I

don't know how much you'll have this issue but with my 2001 impala, it had a pretty hefty current draw right away when I hook up a battery (like maybe 350 milli-amps or more). Several minutes later it would settle down to reasonable values. I think it was just all of the on board computers and sensors getting booted up and settling down. Hook it up and go have a beer. If you still have a large current draw 10 minutes later, then start the investigation.