• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak questions

So...I just spent about 4 hours in this forum reading all kinds of posts about Kayak fishing. I've wanted one in the past and never bought one. But I think after this winter I'll be on the lookout. I've read myself silly about types (I know I want a SOT), features, brands, etc. I also know that I want to hold out through the winter and hope to find a deal on a better quality used yak. I doubt I'll be able to get away with spending much more than $500 on the yak itself. I know that limits me, but it is what it is and its better than no boat at all!

I think I've also decided to start "small". I've drooled over all the cool features you can get on an OK Trident, or something similar. But after the initial "I Need THAT!" feeling wore off, I think I'm better off starting simple. I'll probably only be going out for trips lasting a few hours. I'm easy to please and just getting on the water would be a joy. After thinking it through, I'd probably be happy with a floating log, one rod, and a fanny pack of lures (oh and a bag of beef jerky in there somewhere) at this point in time.

So here is what I think my game plan is, and I want you guys to shoot holes in it where you see fit. Buy an inexpensive used kayak, not being too picky if options are limited, just to get started. As I get more educated or more into it, buy another, and let my step-sons (oldest is currently 10) use my first kayak if they want. I figure with all the great ideas on this forum, even with a cheap kayak I can modify it to make it very useful for my needs.

With that thought in mind...what makes a kayak more stable? I've learned now that longer = speed, shorter = maneuverability. But I haven't really seen anything about the basics in what to look for in a design that is stable. If I'm going to have a kid in it, it needs to be stable!

That being said, if I cant find a used one before next season, what do you guys think about the KL Industries Sun Dolphin Journey SS for $450 and free shipping from Amazon? It almost looks like a SOT/SI hybrid. I like the layout. But honestly I don't know a good layout from a bad one.

I'll keep my thoughts short and concise, just some pointers from someone who uses a 2-arm-powered craft (13ft pelican navigator canoe in my case)!

1) You can do it exceedingly well without spending a ton. Just make sure it floats safely, and you have somewhere to put your rod down, and room for a small tackle box.

2) Keep it light. 50lbs doesn't sound like a lot until it's as awkward as a yak or canoe.

3) Find a way so that you can paddle and have a rod out of your hands, but dragging a crankbait behind you. My biggest fish from my canoe have come from paddle-trolling from spot to spot, and if you're not fishing just a tiny round fish bowl lake, you'll be doing some long paddles worth trolling.

Good luck picking a craft!

Ho do Kayak seats work/attach? Looking at the Sun Dolphin kayak I mentioned above, it appears to be a different configuration than a standard SOT. Would I be screwed if I wanted to upgrade the seat later? I am also now considering the 10' version because a. its $130 cheaper, b. its lighter (which would be good for a youngun) and c. If I'm going "simple" for the first one, not having to deal with registering it helps.

Not 100% sure but I think you still need to register it if it's a 10'. One tip I will give you is if you do buy used make sure to get a bill of sale from the seller. Either the original receipt or a hand written note singed by the seller. Make sure to have the date, place you found it, the sellers name and how much you paid for it. It will make it a lot easier for registering it, that is "If" you need to.

Need to register starting at 10 feet ($25, 3 years)

Guidance on buying:

1. Don't skimp on the paddle. $100-120 is a good price to aim for.

2. Longer = faster/straighter. I bought a 10'3" Emotion Stealth (great yak), but it was a PITA to paddle a mile or two. Drank Red Dog for 12 months and bought my Trident 13. So worth it

3. Get a fish finder. It makes such an incredible difference.

Other tips:

1. Austin Kayak - keep an eye on their seconds/outlet section. My Trident was a factory blem (still have no idea what the blem actually is). Saved $400

2. Look for a used OK Prowler 13. You can find these for $5-600. Get that Humminbird scupper hole if you can. All the hatches/features of the trident are nice, but if I had a whole winter/spring to work on a kayak, I'd go with the Prowler and add the hatches/features that I wanted later.

Other tips:

1. Austin Kayak - keep an eye on their seconds/outlet section. My Trident was a factory blem (still have no idea what the blem actually is). Saved $400

How much did you pay in shipping for that? I looked at Austin Kayak used list. Was one or two deals on there in my budget but I figured once shipping was added it would have cost as much as buying local. I may be down that way in November. If so, I'll look at AK again and see if I can't pick one up and drive it up on the roof rack.

I was at bass Pro Shops in Katy, TX last weekend and I was checking out their Ascend FS12T for $550. Looks like a nice unit. Anyone have any experience/opinions on this one? Ascend FS12T

Holy dump! I didn't notice the weight. Yeah 77lbs unloaded is a lot. After seeing the mixed reviews, I'm thinking this isn't a good first choice for me. Lots of people loved the FS12T. But just as many complained about leaks, rusting seat frame/bolts, bad tracking characteristics and poor design decisions.

Man if shipping was only $50, I will DEFINITELY have to look into AK again. Thanks!