• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to trout fishing

Chumba

Hey so I'm new to trout fishing and had a couple questions.

My GFs family's goes to this Larson lake in Itaska co. Has anyone heard/been there? The state record Splake was taken from there. It is a designated trout lake. So I looked that up, if I buy minnows a head of time and freeze them, does this satisfy the rules?

I just have a small boat I was going to troll out to the deeper water and just see if I can see anything in the electronics. I'm not going to the end of sept, should I be looking shallow at that point?

Sorry for all the naive questions!!

Frozen minnows would be legal. But they really won't be necessary. Just troll small spoons or minnow raps. I troll for splake along the shorelines in anywhere from 5 to 15 ft of water in the fall. I'll cast out to deeper water as well and let my spoon sink for 10 to 20 seconds before reeling in also.

Jigging can be fun way to catch them. I use a 3/16oz jig head and run the hook through the mouth of minnow and out back. These are frozen shinners that I like to use. As JB said with raps and spoons is another good way to turn splake in the fall. My biggest splake came from Tofte Lake near Ely on a crawler that I under a float about 6 feet down. The best fishing I have had for splake is just before ice up when your breaking ice to get the boat out and winter. Good Luck