• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Kodiak mis-fire

MinnesotaMike

I have a 2003 Kodiak 400, went to the lake last week end took it out of the shed and tried to start it. When I hit the button all I get is a clicking noise from the battery area. I charged the battery and it started like normal. Now this clicking noise has been going on for awhile, typically I charge the battery and it will fire up. I went to go to the neighbors and noticed it was running poorly, like it was running out of gas. Yapped with the neighbor for awhile and fired it up to go home, it was running very rough and back fired. I got it to the shed and it quit. It would start but only run for a short while.

I was getting the same clicking noise and it would not turn over. The clicking seems to be coming from the electronics next to the fuse box, what is this?

Could the battery be bad, it is older. Is my electronics going bad?

I'm at a lose, this thing has been bullet proof.

Thx,

Mike

My sportsman will do this from time to time and the battery is fully charged. I've found that when this happens all I have to do is take the cables off and clean them really good and then I usually spray them with electrical connection spray to insure good continuity. But if its running as rough as you say it is I would guess it might be time for a new battery. Is it EFI? if you're not getting enough juice out of the battery then the electronic fuel injection wont operate as it should, that happened to my dad's, battery started going and you couldn't get it above 20 mph and it would start choking and puking because there wasn't enough in the battery to pump the gas in.

If you have never had the needle and seat in carb replaced do it. The originals are not stainless steel and will corrode from this ethanol gas.the clicking is from a weak battery.charging may not work. Replace it. I have an 02 400 and a 05 450 and have gone through all of this before. Good luck.

Could be a dead spot in the starter to.try the other things mentioned first,mine had a dead spot, 375 for a new starter,i thought its got a pull rope to, so ill just try changing the engine/trans oil to full synthetic, that was the trick.Hasnt missed a beat since 12 years ago!