• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plowing question

CigarGuy

We maintain properties around Lake Minnetonka, Wayzata, Edina, Plymouth. A ton of high end stuff, bankers, pro athletes etc. One thing with maintaining properties like this is there is a constant money flow from the same customers and they will pay very good money for not having to lift a finger. One house we do pays out $1,300 per fert application.

Before Denny Hecker went to prison we did over 30,000 in business annually for him alone.

I've been in the business since 1990. Started the year of the Halloween Blizzard and worked for a private firm till 1997 then went to the public end of it in Park Maintenance for a local municipality. When I was young I loved the Maintenance end of the business but as my family grew I started to hate the hours. I like the hardscape end now although my hardscapes are play systems and pools. I still do the maintenance with fertilizer and herbicide but also get involved with sport field and park irrigation. I love the variety and love that I can only plow 12 hours at a time now per MNDOT rules for commercial drivers. The pay is less on my end but so is the headache. smile I think it's good for young guys to know the ins and outs of the business. As far as hourly/per inch/per time. I always did better on salary with a bonus at the end of the season for time worked over an amount agreed upon at the beginning of the season.That way I had the security of a weekly paycheck and was still rewarded for hard work during the season and a back up if it all goes down the tubes like in 1991,1997,2013 just my .02.