• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How mush weight do you use on your C-rig

FlipR70

I'm wondering how much weight most of you use when fishing a C-rig. I'm looking to do more this year and I'm curious what others use for their Carolina rigs.

I realize that it depends on lure weight, line weight, & depth you're fishing. Let's say you're in 10 ft of water with a hard bottom fishing the deep side of a weed line fishing a 6" lizard.

I've tried 1/2 oz. in the past and have done fine but a friend of mine used 3/8 oz and did fine as well. He seems to like the lighter weight.

I almost forgot ... what rod do you prefer for C-rigging in the above conditions. I've been using a lighter 7'6" flippin' stick (Fenwick) & my buddy uses a 7' Gander Mtn IM7 baitcaster with a curado. It seemed like a good setup when I used it but I like the extra length in the rod to take up the slack too.

Thanks for the input,

FlipR70

I am no carolina pro but I like a heavy weight like 5/8 to 1 oz for deep hard bottem riggen. If Im fishing over some weeds I like a real light weight(3/8 or 1/4) so it will bounce of the top of the weeds. In most cases I stay with my 6 1/2 or 7 foot rods. Although Im sure the 7.5 would work great.

Like I said I am no pro and just started using a carolina rig a couple of years ago so I to am learning by all the input of the great guys of FM.

I switch between a football jig and carolina rig when fishing structure. I swear by a 3/4 oz weight on my carolina rigs. I will use this when fishing from 10 to 30 feet. You will have good feel and when searching for fish on the rocks or weeds, you will be able to fish more effectively. When fishing weeds, I retrieve the bait up to the edge than cast again. There a more effective baits for fishing in the weeds so I never retrieve the bait through the weeds. I always use a 7' 6" rod. This will allow you to pick up the leader length for a good hookset. I run a 20 lb mainline and a 12 lb leader for all of my carolina rigs. For a leader I run a minimum of 3', sometimes up to 6'. Keep the rod low to the water on the retrieve while inching the bait along the bottom. Hope this is helpful.

Last year I learned how much fun c. rigging can be. I did like the 3/8 to 1/2 oz. weights. The only reason I didn't like the 3/4 oz was because it seemed to dig in the weeds and the bottom so hard that I lost some sensitivity. Of course, I mostly c. rigged in 7-12 feet. I think if I were fishing deeper I would appreciate the 3/4 oz. more. I would love to give this a try this summer.