• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadhead for bear?

New to archery bear hunting, anyone have preferences to a certain broad head that they have had good luck with black bear? I was going to use the new 3-blade Rage with Kore.. Got them for deer but they look like they'd do a lot of damage to just about anything

I do not want to come off as being judgmental or preachy but I have taken 23 bears with my bow and tracked and skinned another 65?. No one uses retractable broad heads in our camp. Been there and done that. Because nearly every bear in Minnesota is taken from a elevated stand or blind over a bait pile, why would a hunter even consider shooting a retractable over a fixed blade head at 10 to 20 yards? For the record, I have had a few good experiences with Rages on deer and unfortunately just as many disasters. I will never shoot another retractable broad head. Remember, with a bear, you must get a pass through or at least 2 holes and if you mess with either shoulder with anything----you probably have trouble.

I have to agree with black bear. Retractables are probably fine for most deer, but bear can be a different deal. Bigger bones, heavier hide, more fur. A good quality fixed type head is usually going to be a better choice.

Which brand? 50 guys will give you 50 different options. As long as it's a quality head, whichever one you shoot best is the one to use.

Good luck on your hunt.

I'm going to disagree. A large expandable broad head wound does not close or seal up with fat. It will also put the bear down quickly. I can't tell you exactly how many bears I've shot but close to 15 and tracked close to 15 more. Those that were shot with expandable broad heads were all recovered with easy blood trails. Some with fixed blades were very difficult to trail even with great hits.

I will be using a schwacker 2" broad head for bear . Call me new aged but I like a bigger cut and sharp blades in side the animal ,not dulled from hair and bone befor it gets to the vitals . Had great luck so far with them,but never got a bear in my sights yet

Ive taken my first bow kill on a bear with NAP Spitfire. 30 yrd recovery. My daughter to her first bear. Over 300 lbs with rage two blade. Watched it tip over. Ive taken others with the rage also quick recovery. Im sure ill have my day in expandable court but i biece will be my fault on shot placement more than the head im using

My set-up... Easton Axis 340. 75 grains inserts. Muzzy phantoms MX 100 grains. 2 inch blazers right helical 3 degree. 63 pounds i am pulling back.

How many total grains does that make your arrow, rkhinrichs? It sounds like a mighty fine rig to me! I'd guess you're somewhere in the upper 400's?