• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lutsen area

cubicleb

I'll be in Lutsen next weekend and we are staying right where the Poplar river dumps into the big pond. I've seen people catch nice trout out there in lake summer but wanted to know a little bit more from anyone who has fished there.

We are shore fishing. Thinking of using salmon eggs in a sack (panty liner) and maybe nightcrawlers. Would this be the best presentation this time of the year? Open to really catching anything but would like to try our luck for some trout.

Thanks in advance.

There might still be some steelhead in the river. But for the most part the only thing that will be in the creeks after the spring run will be juvenile (smolts) steelhead, and maybe a couple little brookies. But if you have an ultra light panfish rod and #0 mepps, those little guys can still be fun to catch.

Make sure to read the regs about treble hooks for the lake to the first major falls. If you cast into the lake there is a chance at catching lake trout. We use long rods mine is a 8 and half foot and I cast 1/2 oz to 1 oz spoons. Kastmasters, Cleos, Wobblers, and even roosttails. Floating a crawler under a float can catch some of the steelhead, big brook trout, coho, and even a laker sometimes. The rivers are flowing good at this time you can float out a floating rapala just make sure it is not a deep diver. Please read the Regs. for the streams up there, because we need to protect the brook trout that live in Lake Superior.

If you want to catch some trout around Lusten I would find some of the many smaller stream in the back country and fish for brook trout. There are some lakes that have trout in them as well and you can have good luck catching rainbows.

The hook regulation moose is referring to is the single hooks only rule. Single hooks from lake superior up to usually the 1st major waterfall. It's pretty much catch and release only for steelhead and brook trout. At the very least it will be a nice scenic walk along the river(s).