• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tilt/trim problem

jvm1

Started last fall and it seems worse after the winter. Basically it won't go up on either switch (throttle or motor) unless I push down and immediately up.

Mercury 2 stroke 60 hp

Any ideas?

Boatfixer - Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't. Especially if trying to go up is the first thing I do.

Once it works it seems normal, a little slower going up. Since it's at both switches, does it mean the tilt trim motor is going?

Yes it's possibly the trim motor. It may also be one of the trim relays. What you would need to do is use a test light and verify current is going to the trim motor while pressing the up switch. Find a good clean ground and check for power on the blue wire going to the trim motor

I just had the same thing happen to my motor mercury 2 stroke 75 hp. I replace the relay's "2 of them" and the same thing was still happening. I took the trim and tilt motor off which is very easy to do and took the motor over to Reds Auto Electric. They found that the brushes were bad in the motor. They put mew brushes in for a couple of bucks and I put the motor back on trim and tilt runs like new now.

Check your hydrolic fluid 1st. Mine was low and the t&T was slow. Wound up thats all it was the 1st time. Second time I backed into a log and the t&T got slow then a few months later ws a dead stand still. Had to unscrew the manual release and lift it up and get the transom saver under it. Took it in and it was something to do with the bushings and ram seals or something like that. Pretty cheap fix and now its better than when I 1st got the boat.

Of course this happened 4 days before a tourney but RJ's in Duluth did a great job of rushing parts in and getting me back in the water in time for the tourney.

I just had the same thing happen to my motor mercury 2 stroke 75 hp. I replace the relay's "2 of them" and the same thing was still happening. I took the trim and tilt motor off which is very easy to do and took the motor over to Reds Auto Electric. They found that the brushes were bad in the motor. They put mew brushes in for a couple of bucks and I put the motor back on trim and tilt runs like new now.

Which is why a suggested troubleshooting it first