• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How deep will they go

MJR

I can only assume that the bass will be moving out to deeper water soon, I have found a couple of midlake humps that come up to 24ft I have fished them a couple of times and have not caught anything on them yet. Do you think this is too deep for bass or just to early in the year for them? How deep do would you think is too deep?

I heard this somewhere where a bass doesn't like to get more than 25ft. Smallies maybe a little deeper.

If you can find the thermocline where it meets deep structure that should be a good place.

I'm no pro though.

Bass need some good structure. I think that is one reason you find them shallower more often than not... deep weed edges provide good structure and of course the close proximity to weeds provides food. docks, marinas, etc. - structure and close proximity to food is one reason you find them in these areas...

24' isn't too deep in my opinion if you have some good structure for the bass to hide out in and shallow water for food nearby.. Either big boulders or a brush pile of some sort would provide good structure at that depth.. This time of year though, the surface temps are near that 70 deg. mark and there is no need for fish to go as deep as 24' unless you face calm conditions and pressure to push them deeper.