• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1995 Mariner 150 EFI and Skeeter ZX-150

-Marc V-

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this boat and motor. I have an older Mariner 50hp now, and it's been a good motor. Think back with my '82 50hp they were made by either Mercury or Yamaha, but can't remember. Will mainly be using her for musky fishing. Hoping she'd be able to handle big water relatively well too.

Any insight on either is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Marc

The Mariners were simply Gray Mercs, not difference but paint.

We have 97 Merc 150 efi and it is the same motor as yours, but the cowling and styling changed in somewhere around your year model, so it might be the more angular boxy model, where the 97 is smoother. But I believe same rock solid engine. You will like it, runs good, smooth, and fast. Good luck.

Cool, thanks Box!

You or anyone else know if an EFI like this would run anywhere comparable to a four stroke? I really doubt it, but read something on another site about direct inject being comparable to four strokes. But maybe direct inject is a bit different than EFI too...

Anyone know of a HSOforum that shows mileage of different motors to compare?

I don't fish all that often anymore so putting a little more money in gas into a two stroke probably out weights the benefit and cost of getting a four stroke. I'd probably never make up the difference in cost of the 4 stroke motor compared to cost of two stroke gas...

EFI does not get the same MPG as DFI. But it starts like a car, and runs strong.

FWIW - the 4 strokes are not near the get-up-and-go that a 2 stroke has, especially the EFI. I have direct experience with both. Personally, I would not get a 4 stroke at this point in the 150 hp range, but that is just me. I also do like a 4 stroke (60 on pontoon, and love it) that I have. But I want a chit-eatin'-grin when I hit the throttle on my boat, and the 4 strokes in the 150 range don't have that. They have a nice "I am quiet and I get great fuel economy" smile, but not a "holy carp, hold on to the seat" smile. wink

To each their own. I'm a Grandpa and I would only get a 4 stroke on a pontoon, which I did, haha! Get the EFI and be happy, when you get another boat and want a different experience, get a 4 stroke.

BTW we troll a ton on our EFI and no problems or fouled plugs in 16 years. Only probs were trim relays (once), water in fuel (boat tank/vent issue), snapped throttle and gear cables (again boat design issue, coiled too tightly). Otherwise, just gas, oil, plugs every few years, lower unit lube.

Good luck!

edit - regarding fuel usage, our 150efi gets about the same as our previous 90 2 stroke merc got. We used to run that WOT all the time, and the 150 we can keep it at about 3100-3300 rpms and still be cruising about 35-40 mph, which is what our 90 did at WOT. So really, I don't think the 150efi is that bad on gas, until you compare it direct to a 4 stroke or DFI, then the gallons difference will certainly show after a 3 day trip on a big lake.

Awesome, thanks again Box! You the Box that used to 'ski fish up north metro a few years back with a custom casting platform on the front of your rig? I used to fish with Jefferson up there occasionally and we'd run into ya. If so, hope time and the fish have been treating ya well! Looking forward to this rig if all works out. I like the growl of hammering a two stroke. I'd prefer a four just for greater range, but the cost doesn't justify it in my case...