• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin Registration?

pisces

So Wisconsin just raised the Non-Resident Trail Pass to $50 (annual). I live in Minnesota and have a cabin in Wisconsin where I am a member of a local snowmobiling club, and where I use the (2)sleds almost exclusively. My question is: Does anyone from Minnesota register their sleds in Wisconsin, even though they live here? I have been told it is allowed as long as Wisconsin is where the sleds are primarily used. Anyone know more about this? Thanks

I was told by the guy that I bought my trail pass from to duel register the sled in both MN and WI and it would be cheaper than buying a new non resident trail sticker every year. I just scratched my head wondering if that is even legal but would be a lot cheaper.

I do it.

I went to the local WI DNR office and filled out the paperwork, including a copy of the purchase agreement to show tax paid to MN, and dual registered my sleds. No having to use a WI address. My registration was $35 and was good for 2 years. My latest us up this summer I believe, so I will see what my renewal looks like at that time.

"including a copy of the purchase showing sales tax paid to Minnesota" ....my sleds are 8 years old, don't even know if I have anything showing sales tax paid anymore.

New Wisconsin registration rules are: Wisc. registration is now $30 for 3 years (instead of 2) and an annual trail pass is now required for ALL (resident included) users of public trails. This trail pass costs $30 per year for resident, $50/year for non-resident. If you are a member in good standing (read dues paid) of a Association of Wisconsin Snowmobiling Clubs (AWSC) club, you can get the resident trail pass for $10. No discount is available for the Non-resident trail pass.

So, my math says it will cost $40/year now to register your (1) sled in Wisc. instead of $17.50/year you paid in the past. For me, being already in a club, it would cost me only $20/year to register with Wisconsin, which is much less than the $50 Non-Resident Trail Pass. I think I'll check into doing the "dual registration" thing.

If you don't have proof of sales tax paid to another state you may end up having to pay it to WI when you register your sled. That would be the 5.5% of their listed value for your sled.

I did mine in Superior and I had to take in my MN purchase/registration paperwork from the seller to show it was paid. Truthfully I do so little riding in WI anymore due to my inlaws now being "snowbirds" I will probably just let it go.