• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

outboard trade

b123

I have a 1997 johnson 30 hp electric start with a rock hopper. I have it on my alumacraft 1650 allweld jon boat. It goes good with one guy but just seems to be lacking for 2-3. I found a deal to trade for a 1980 merc 50 hp, pretty much all the same as mine just more hp but older. I am really debating it, im just not sure if its worth it or not. Any opinions? I know i would want to try and find another rock hopper because that thing has saved my butt alot, but im not sure if they make one for a 50 hp.

FWIW, the merc 50 is an awesome motor, I have an 82 still that gets used a lot and has NEVER and I mean never been in the shop. We use it fishing and duck hunting right up till ice up. But the one thing you would notice for sure is that it is thristy. Much more thirsty than your rude 30. As long as that wouldn't matter to you, it is much smoother, faster, powerful... but you will go through gas wink

Good luck.

is it a fairly heavy motor, this one doesnt have tilt and trim so i would have to man handle it every time. Its a virtually spotless motor though and supposedly runs well. I mainly use mine for small lakes, river and hunting, and our section has alot of rocks so i would want to try and find a prop gaurd. Just trying to talk myself into getting one 17 years older, ha but i want the power.

It is a rock solid motor - assuming it is the same as my 82, but I think it is. 4 cylinder? That makes it a 45 rated in today's hp ratings.

Ours does not have power trim/tilt either, and we use it for all the same things, but not small rivers. Fairly easy to lift. I also had a 96 Rude 25hp, likely the same motor as you have. No comparison for the smoothness and trolling ability, and umph, the classic 50 is better all around. I am pretty sure it is a heavier motor though, as my 25 was pretty darn lightweight, but on a pontoon so I never took it off to "lift" it.

The merc is easier to swap impellers on, but the rude is easier to rebuild carbs on, as there is just not much to it.

You will go through more fuel though wink Did I say that yet? haha!

Have you tried a different prop on your 30 hp?I have a much older 30 H.p johnson 89 I think,that still gets up and goes 25 mph with 3 guys and some gear on a 14 ft alumacraft v with a full wood floor with livewell and storage,couple batteries,and 8 gallons full fuel i run a smaller 10 1/4x11 prop but for just one guy in the boat you cant run wideopen it will over rev.Just a thought

i currently run a 10x13, that would mean higher speeds right? If i remember higher the pitch the higher the top end, and lower pitch the lower the top end? My alweld is pretty heavy, and 22 is top one man thats on the GPS. Box: Yes i only take this boat on the major rivers, and some loggy lakes that are too big for my mud motor boat. Mainly the missippi but around here it is pretty rocky during certian times, does your motor pop up pretty easy or does it take the blows hard? I think i might have to do it just for the ability to get up and scream if i need to.

We've had ours our pop up from time to time, but we don't hit things too much. Usually it would be logs instead of rocks, but on its first ever (brand new) voyage in '82 my brother did hit rocks smile I could have killed him, haha! He was only 10... Dad let us drive from way back wink

Skeg is still intact. Have gone through a few props...