• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP!!!!!!

Flipnripem

First to offer my two cents you have to tell me where this spot is at. J.K. Wow sounds like fun and wish I could throw everything in my box at em. Personally I would try my best to duplicate the baitfish. Some type of topwater worked eratically. Next, a floating soft plastic like a sinko, or a trick worm, or a shad shaped bait. Think like a paranoid minnow like the boogie man is after you. Good luck

Wow that would be cool to see!
Another cool ting to happen to you is when your out fishing and a local bass tournament is on the lake your fishing and your catching bigger fish than they are. smile.gif(At least in that spot wink.gif)
You could try using a weight less plastic or a rapala countdown. Just try to imatate a injured bait fish as good as possible. Another thing to try is take the lip of a rapala or a other lure and twitch across the top.(I prefer a jointed lure) Ive caught fish doing that.
Hope that helps.

------------------
lure #1, lure #2, lure #3...

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 09-17-2002).]

You might not be retrieving the lure fast enough. I would try a walk the dog type bait (sammy or spook). Try walking the dog as fast as you can. The key is to experiment with lures and retrieves. If the fish are actively feeding something will catch them, you just have to figure it out. And thats what makes fishing fun and challenging.

[This message has been edited by kt (edited 09-17-2002).]

When you say everything, I assume you mean EVERYTHING.

So, take a page from the trout fishing book and match the hatch. What kind of baitfish are surfacing? If you can identify them and they're sold in the bait stores, buy some and fish them shallow under a slip bobber.

If you can identify them and they aren't sold in stores, use a throw net or a minnow trap to catch them yourself.

If you can't identify them, buy some bait roughly the same size and try that.

Since they seem to be keying so strongly on those schools, may be they're just not looking at anything artificial. I've caught a lot of bass on small leeches while fishing for sunnies and minnows while dragging live-bait rigs for walleyes. Sometimes bass hardly look at anything but live bait.

But man, how do you see something like that and keep your hands from shaking? Sheesh. Like having a 12-point buck in the 180 class walk up to your deer stand.

Good luck, and tell us how you do.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 09-17-2002).]

I need some serious help. I have a favorite shore-fishing hole that produces bass regulalrly. Lately, when morning fishing, I've noticed schools of baitfish swimming past, then the water will erupt with bass leaving the water. (Ten at a time, some small, some HUGE, as the baitfish move through.)
I'm not exagerating, but I understand that it's almost something you have to see to believe.Each morning I fish there, I'll see a hundred fish leave the water in a 20 yard radius from where I'm standing.
Problem: I can't catch them. I've thrown everything I know how at em. They're not hittin.
Help me please, before I throw my pole in the water.
Thanks!
Happy fishin
(ain't it always?)

Thanks for the tips everyone.
To answer a few of your questions:
I don't keep my hands from shaking. I actually do, especially, it seems, when I can't tie on the next presentation quick enough.
I have tried (among a myriad of other things) rapalas, spoons, plastic worms with and without weight, crawlers and leeches, but have used spinnerbaits and buzz baits most, since I've heard spinnerbaits are made to immitate schools of shad.
I'm going to give crappie minnows under a slip bobber a try tomorrow morning (the baitfish I've noticed are similar in size and color to crappie minnows) and I think the lip-less Rapala idea holds promise as well.
Hopefully with this cold front moving in, I still get to witness this phenomenon again. If I do, I'll let you know my success rate.
Thanks!

Maybe you have to catch them before the baitfish come by. I stopped by Spring lake - near Prior- about a month ago. There's a little creek right next to the landing and I was catching a bass on every cast, right at the mouth with plastics. It's gravel between the concrete access and this creek and the shore was thick with schools of baby bullheads. Someone finally launched their boat on the gravel and scared the schools right over to the creek mouth. Feeding Frenzy!! The water boiled and little bullheads were flying out of the water about a foot high. Must have been at least 10 bass surrounding them. I couldn't catch a thing after that.