• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Live Well/Bait Well In Wheel House

Chad Holst

Quote:
At the bottom where the hoses come out of the wheel well and go towards the ice hole I would put a male end for each hose. So the system in the wheel well is completely self contained and no hoses are exposed, just two little male ends sticking out where the hoses exit the finished wheel well (kind of like the male ends on a water softener). Then I would bring two short hoses (2 feet?)to attach to these male ends once everything is set up, and I would have weights attached to the end that goes down the ice hole. I'm doing it!

Great suggestion, im with yah. The trick will be to figure out where to put the male ends that stick out. maybe turn them horizontally and have them go through the catch cover sleeve on that hole. We our floor is 3 3/4 inches off the ice, so we cant really put them sticking down. if there is any ice of frozen slush when we lower the house, it would break them. But i think your on to something here.

This is how I had planned on doing it in the next house I build.

All hoses would be 3/4".

"Water in" would come in the highest in the bait well. A 3/4" piece of cpvc installed horizontal across the top with holes drilled along the bottom for the water to come out and aerate the water below.

"Water out" would come in 2" - 3" below the water in and be an open fitting with a screen over it to allow the rising water to just drain off back into the lake and keep your bait from escaping.

"Drain/stand pipe" would be on the bottom side of the bait well with a fitting that would accept a small length of 3/4" cpvc(this would be vertical) that can be removed to drain the water. The length of this pipe would be taller than the "water out" and below the "water in". I had planned to leave the top of the stand pipe open as a fail safe in case the drain clogged or froze the water level would rise to the top of the stand pipe and drain.

Set this up with a live well timer and you'll always have fresh cold water. The same could be done for a live well too.

I'll get a picture on later today of the home made bottom buckets. Some make the out of PVC but they get real bulky. I made about 5 or 6 prototypes for a very large tackle company so I have a few alternatives. Trying to get my house finished today, it's just about time to go.

I use 4" pvc pipe twist cap lot of small holes drilled, sink it with a 8ft cable kept in middle of hole works great take it out of the water and dump it in my minnow bucket keeps shiners alive for a week if they last though my fishing

not your live well idea but might be an idea for some others, just don't see a live well any good for me in my house