• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trimming trees

rumeye

When can I start trimming my Pin oak tree it has some dead wood in it that I want to get when I can still tell whats dead and what isn't. Also flowering crab that needs a haircut. I know oaks are better trimmed in the winter but I sure would like to get it done some time this month.

If its dead take it off anytime.The main worry with trimming green growing trees is pests and spores attracted to the fresh cut.Those organisms arent around after cold temps.Any growing wait till its cold and the tree is dormant,it wont bleed sap and attract the bad stuff.

To properly prune even a dead branch you should prune back to the branch collar so the tree can heal over the cut. This may mean getting into live wood.

If you can tell live from dead when there aren't leaves then you can mark the dead ones with paint or a ribbon now or you can wait another month or so and trim right before fall.

Oaks are most susceptible during spring and summer. Red oaks are way more likely to be affected and a pin oak is in the red oak category.

If you're he11 bent on removing the dead limbs now you can cut them back and leave a stump that you can remove properly in the late fall/winter months.

You will all be happy to know that

Minnesota's oak wilt risk status is SAFE. The risk of overland transmission of oak wilt now very low

http://www.myminnesotawoods.umn.edu/2010/03/oak-wilt-risk-status-in-minnesota/

(notice the part about the fungus staying alive for months even after tree cut down)