• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I had every intention of sitting in a tree stand yesterday until I noticed that the wind was slightly wrong and almost non-existent which would have caused my scent to linger toward the deer. That is the jazzed-up version of my excuse to switch gears and go crappie fishing from my kayak. The truth is, the way the crappie are biting right now, it doesn't take much to get me on the water.

With a 2 mph wind and roughly two hours of fishing time, I headed for one of my favorite local spots. My plan was to stop briefly at the closest deep basin to drop a quick line before continuing on to the farthest, and my favorite, basin. I never made it passed the first basin. I started picking away at 12" and 13" crappie one after another until dark.

I caught fish over 40 feet of water, suspended around 20 feet. Using my Vexilar as I drifted in my kayak gave a a huge advantage when I drifted over fish that were slightly shallower than my jig, allowing me to raise up above them where they could see it.

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg