• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I headed out in my kayak today to see if I could locate panfish in some of the deep basins I normally fish in winter. It didn't take long using my Vexilar to find them right where I had hoped.

The lake I fished has an average depth of 15 feet, but has three deep basins that are 30-40 feet deep. I headed directly to each basin, positioned myself on the upwind side, and drifted across until I marked fish. It didn't take long. Fish were stacked up at 10-15 feet. It felt like winter, except for the fact that it was 85 degrees.

I managed some nice crappie and bluegill and released everything I caught.

TBG.jpg

TC.jpg

I headed out again today, but this time I used my ice fishing tackle and I wasn't alone. 12mm tungsten jigs with a watermelon Maki from Maki Plastic. The crappie were hammering it. So far I have identified two new areas on a waterbody I thought I knew well. Deep basins that are not on any map or chart I can find. I can't wait to get out on the ice!

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1153-Copy.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg