• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

selecting a prop

walleye 4 me

I just got a 1999 1850 tyee with a 135 optimax and have some questions about props. It currently has a 19P aluminum on it and will do 40.5 mph at 5100 at WOT. I think I should be getting more rpm's? I have access to a 19P SS prop for free. What kind of change if any would I notice? I think I need to maybe try and 18P but not sure. Prefer to stay with aluminum to keep cost down. any thoughts?

You have a great motor, get a great prop. A Tempest 19" might be a bit too much, but are common to find used. Your motor and larger boat might be good fit with 17" or 18" tempest. Lots of bow lift, great handling, and a good top end balance. We have a 19" on our 150 with slightly smaller boat but similar style. We tested a bunch.

Honestly an alum prop on that motor would be a shame IMHO. Good luck.

edit - oh yeah, it is not as simple as just "a stainless steel prop" as there are different styles (models) for different applications. what works on a bass boat (i.e. Laser II) will NOT work on your hull style, regardless of pitch.