• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! 1892 Evinrude

MJBaldwin

I think jentz can help you more, but what it looks like to me, is that you might have "moved" the wrong copper nut piece. Meaning you might have "Adjusted" the linkage by unscrewing the bottom, rather than holdign the bottom and unscrewing the top. (I might have that backwards, I honestly can't recall, but that is what I did first time as well.)

Also in looking at the copper tube, it looks a bit mangled in your picture, but I am not sure. I know that that is what you really have to be careful of, cause if you don't get that lined up, the water won't make it to engine, and you will end up dropping lower unit again to get it lined up. I think I used a little flashlight and buddy to help line it up. When it does "fit" it really "fits" and you can tell, as was mentioned above.

The coupler was the devil for me, as you are finding, but after you figure it out, it will seem simple. It has been several years since I did mine, so sorry not much more help. I will say, Mercs are a TON easier.

That lower nut the one that is bout 1/2 inch long,Push it down to expose the little nylon keeper and remove the nylon keeper.It is a wholoe piece with a split to open it to clear the shift shaft. that will make the shift rod split to a upper and lower letting the lower unit disengauge.

Jentz,

I have disconnect the two as seen in the picture. I pushed up and down on that top nut and it didnt move? How hard do I have to push up and down and is it the top or bottom nut? I figure when I disconnect the two it doesnt really matter about the bottom one until I go to hook it back up....

As for lining up the copper piece I had a hell of a time doing this and gave up in the end since I will still have to remove the unit. This is the copper peice that was on there its really not in bad shape just bent not sure if thats how its suppose to go up in there....

I really appreacite all your help guys and I am hoping that i can finally get this bad boy back in action this weekend!