• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plow types

nunzio

I'm looking for some opinions on the different types of plows that are out there. 4 foot vs 5 foot?? One way blades vs V - plow?? Can any of them move dirt?? Just trying to get a little discussion going, as well as some help on making my own choice. Thank you -nunzio

Everyone has an opinion smile.gif
My opinions on 'em. V-plows do move dirt good since you can "V" it out or in and slice into piles. The same can basically be done with straight plows.
On a machine 400 or larger, I'd go with a 5' blade. Easy handles snow. For dirt, any plow cannot be used to its full potential because the machine can't push that much dirt. Traction will be lost before you can push a "full" blade of dirt.
The 5' blade also keeps the snow/dirt from building up close to the front tires; causing extra resistance to power through. This depends on the physical size of the machine too.

from what i hear you dont want a V Plow, the guys from the polaris dealer told me that they bend easy and dont move dirt, they do make a snow/dirt blade and only say to go 48" wide on the blade, if you look in the forums you will find a guy who makes them in his home and they are a great plow and a great price! hope that helps

Thank you for the replys guys. I hope that we have just "scratched" the surface. smile.gif
I guess a little information would be helpful. I have a Polaris SP500 and I would like to get the best set up that I could. Price does matter but I'm willing to pay more to get more. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the new plow frame that Polaris has out?? To me it looks like it should "load" the entire wheeler frame instead of just the front end. I don't know as I'm not a engineer and this is the first wheeler that I've owned. -nunzio

nunzio,
The deluxe Polaris plow frame attaches to the rear hitch and up front with pins. According to the catalog, it's about $100 more than the standard plow frame.

The "universal" plow frame attaches to a mounting plate under the middle of your SP500. It takes about 10 minutes to either install or take off the mounting plate. Some people leave it on year-round but you do lose about two inches of ground clearance with it on. Mounting the plow frame to the mounting plate is easy; slide the frame tubes into the grooves on the mounting plate and flip a handle on each side which locks it in place.

I don't think the deluxe frame will spread the "load" stress out better than the deluxe. It was designed for easier plow removal (you have to rest on your knees to align/attach the plow when using the "universal" mounting method). The deluxe system also eliminates the lost ground clearance (when the plow is detached) cause there's no mounting plate bolted under your machine.

You won't have any problems plowing with a 5' blade on a SP500.

Cycle Country also makes plows for ATVs. Good quality and a lower price than OEM brands. Excellent customer service!

hey guys==ive used a bunch of different plows and none move snow better that the Moose County PLow--the way the blade is designed the snow rolls of it well--well worth the extra $$$

Can you explain how the blade is designed, Pike? Awhile back, I heard Moose plows are made by Cycle Country. There's a lot of accessories now that have another's name on it.

One thing you should think about is lifting the plow. If you have a winch, it is somewhat slow but acceptable to many. Having a winch kills two birds with one stone.
The electric lift motors work nice but that's the only purpose this motor serves. Plus, more than likely, you'll be buying new grips when you remove the stock one to install the electric motor control on your handlebar. Some grips slide off nice but most are glued on and rip when taking it off.
Or, you can raise and lower the plow with the maunual lift handle; which costs some extra money. I'd suggest using a winch since someday you may need it to get you, or a riding buddy, out of a hole anyway.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 05-09-2002).]

Just picked up my 500 H.O. on Tuesday. While I was at it I added the tubed front bumper, 2000lb warn winch, and the sportsman deluxe plow frame with a 48" snow/dirt blade. It is a very nice set up, I can't wait to get out and use it.... Well it is snowing in May, so who knows???

------------------
Just Having Fun!
Love to Fish.

Thanks Dave;
I already have a winch for my wheeler. That was going to be one of my next questions. Any thoughts on the Suspension Lock? It stops the machine from bouncing while you plow -right? I was wondering if it was worth while as my drive is over 500 feet? -nunzio

I wouldn't bother with a suspension lock. If you did start bouncing with it locked, you better be hanging on. There's usually enough 'slip' when in snow.

about the moose plow===I believe cycle country now makes a very similar--they call it the "state plow"-- they both look alike except come in different colors---the are shaped like the big plows that mndot uses high on 1 side and tapers down==has a nice soft curve from top to bottom with a rubber flap across the top..really rolls the snow off well--no need to angle the blade if you going bout 5mph or more