• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

can a boat motor ping?

mrpike1973

hi 1977 25 hp evinrude. today we went to the chain of lakes and drove from richmond to cold spring. i'm guessing about 4-5 miles with a few no wake zones. after a while it seemed like it was pinging i backed off the throttle some. seemed to help some but maybe its just me but didnt seem to have the zing it usually does. i,ve noticed this a time or too before but we have never run it this long. sounds like a ping or slight not getting gas perhaps. i had the vent open and tried to squeeze the bulb didnt seem to matter. motor sounds fine i had it checked over this spring any thing to worry about or no also the motor seemed hot but no paint peeled on the head or steaming of any kind. please help me sleep tonight thanks. also fresh non oxy gas just bought it and same place i buy gas

plugs are new pulled them tonight carbon color black on the ceramic part but dry and clean not oily or burnt. good point on the weeds but wouldnt it stay bogged down if you will all the time and not rev slightly. didnt see any weeds on the prop when we left not to say they didnt fall off

I assume you are talking about detonation? Yes all motors, especially 2 strokes, can detonate. If I understand correctly your plugs looked good. I believe what happened was carbon build up. When you idle around for too long with a 2 stoke, carbon (burnt fuel) can build up and cause a slight bogging, and it will usually smoke more. If you run it full throttle for even a minute it should completely clean it out. You said you don't run it long? Maybe you just finally heard the beautiful music of a warmed up 2 stroke reving?

BRRRRAAHHHHH!!! Duhn...Duhn...DuhnDuhn...Duhn (I just got an adrenaline rush imagining it) blush

i have run it full open some before today but actually since i bought it i have never trolled with it. just go fast to where i fish and drop anchor start it up and go to the next spot. you may be correct in the sounds though thats what it sounded like. however ny 15 hp evinrude sounds the same no matter what wot or slow etc to me it sounded like it was going to explode?