• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1973 Evinrude 50hp outboard

I have a 50hp Evinrude outboard that is a steering counsel style, this boat and motor was given to me when my grandfather passed away, and I'm not a big fan of the steering counsel setup. So my question is can a guy change a motor over to a tiller style or is it cheaper to sell the motor and buy a different motor that is already a tiller?

Thanks,

Brandon

I have done that a couple of times in the past. Get parts from a salvage yard/used parts store and put it on. It's way cheaper than changing motors. You don't mention that anything is wrong with the motor you have.

You can get parts from Tim's outboard repair or Twin Cities Outboard and probably several other places. It has been several years since the last time I did it, but I called Tim's, told the guy what I needed and they sent it to me, easy as that.

The motor has been running good, but it did sit unused for 18 years, so there are a few things that I have had to have fixed. How much did it cost you to so and was is hard switching it over? I'm really just looking to gain more floor space in the boat and for some reason I just like steering a tiller more then steering wheel.

I can't remember the cost - it was pretty reasonable. I called and gave them the model & year of the motor and they told me to call back in a half hour while they checked to see if they had one. When I called back, they told me the price, I gave them credit card info and they shipped it. If you are fussy about color match, give them that info too. One of mine was a different color (blue instead of grey, I think).

It was very easy to install.