• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting or Dual Purpose Battery

Hookmaster

My first starting battery that came new with the new boat was just a starting battery. It lasted 9-10 years. When I replaced it I got a Werker dual-purpose which is starting to fade after 4-5 years. I am wondering if I need the dual-purpose or do I need to get a better brand of dual-purpose. It needs to be a size 24. The motor is a Yamaha F100. For electronics I run a Humminbird 777C, two hand-held GPS (noumted) and the livewell is usually running. grin It is charged with a 4-year old on-board Dual Pro charger. I haven't checked it but I assume the charger is working well as is the alternator on the outboard.

The starting battery is okay if you are always running your F100 to keep your electrics working, but if the F100 isn't and you're running the electrics from the battery then you need the dual purpose battery. Better yet, if you change your electrics over to a separate battery and then make that a deep cycle. Just my 2 pennies.

My opinion, is that your 1st battery lasting 9+ years is highly unusual.

I budget to replace batteries every 5 years, did my cranking battery this year, and figure I will need to do the trolling motor batteries next year.

I honestly do not have any experience with Werker brand batteries.

I have had good results using Interstate for the last 10 years roughly.

I always buy brand name batteries and use them in the manner described by the manufacturer: if he say starting then that's what I use it for and same with others. There is a reason the purpose is stamped on the battery. Who am I to second guess the folks who made it?

We always used a pair of group 27 deep cycle in the Airstream and they would last a loooonng time and I use paired Interstates in all the boats for the electronics. A separate battery is used for starting and another for the auto bilge pump system.

But then we are old time marine type guys and we don't mess around.

I wish I could figure out the aftermarket battery qualities. It always seems like the original equipment stuff is better.

For example, look at the automotive batteries. The OEM battery on a new vehicle always last me 7+ years but I'm lucky to get more than 3 years out of a replacement. We just traded in my wifes car with it's OEM battery that was 12 years old.

This time, on my current 11 year old truck, I replaced the battery after 7 years (for no reason other than age, it still worked fine) with an OEM battery from the dealership. 4 years later it's still going great. I expect it to go another 4 years, if I still have the truck.

I wish consumers could see what the differences are between a good battery and a cheap battery. It seems like name brands have nothing to do with quality.

Lots of people say, go with "insert name here" but why is that battery better? What specs make it better?

I am not saying interstate is better.

Just saying that I have used them for a while now and had good luck.

in fact in their group 24 cranking batteries there are 3 different models, the 1000CCA is the most expensive, the heaviest and the best out of the 3.

Does that mean it is better than battery x or battery z? probably not, just saying they work well for me.

My main point was dont expect to get 9+ years out of a battery all the time, it may happen on occasion but it is unusual.

I'm not saying Interstate is bad either. If they are good, I just wish I knew what it was about them that made them last longer. There has to be a spec or a manufacturing process involved that differentiates battery life. As far as I know, the manufacturers aren't sharing that information with the consumer.

Johnson controls makes over 90% of the batteries sold in this country, everstart, interstate, optima, and basically anything else on anyone's shelf or OEM placement. The only decision you have is how much of your money you are comfortable parting with.

Yeah, Johnson is probably one of the largest battery manufacturers out there, but unfortunately they don't make it easy to figure out which batteries are the same as others.

I am sure when other companies contract them to make the batteries they do this intentionally so people don't figure out a $60 battery at fleet farm might be the same battery as the $120 at Interstate. Unfortunately I have had some of the cheap batteries fail rather quickly also.

The Group 24 1000 CCA starting batteries from NAPA and Interstate sell for $105-115. They are not a good choice for running deep demand items though you have nothing in that category though the pump motor is borderline and would be reaso to get a hybrid stater/deep cycle battery.

For longer running consider a Group 27 as it is likely to fit in the same space as your old Group 24 battery. I fit a Group 31 into a comparment that originally held a Group 27 battery.