• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iron Range R100 -- Who's going?

BradB

6 more sleeps until this year's Minnesota R100. I've been to 3 of these, and they are always a great time. Straight Thru Archery was at the Duluth, Sparta, and Iowa R100's last year and I suspect they're going to put on a good one.

Don, maybe I'll see you at Sparta again this year?

Nope. Going to MT over the 4th for a wedding (I'll get some fishing in as well) then back again in August for an antelope hunt. Not willing to give up another weekend fishing for the shoots this summer.

What a wonderful event. Our first R100 and we are hooked. Kudos to the many volunteers. They did a tremendous job for what had to be countless hours invested in getting prepared. We are definitely coming back next year.

I bet you are happy that the first person called for the bow was not there. Whoever he is should be kicking himself for not sticking around.

As far as door prizes, we scored nothing. Won't keep us from coming back though.

Congrats on the bow. Pick a good one.

I am quite happy that the first guy wasn't there. I'm 2/5 for prizes at R100's now--won a 18 in 1 target at last year's Duluth event.

I'm planning on going to Sparta, Iowa, and possibly Nebraska this year for R100's. Always a great time. We spent a bunch of time with the guys from Anchor Point Archery in Amery and they were a lot of fun. Next time I need a new bow (which might be a while as I have a 2013 Bowtech Experience and now a new Elite on the way) but I think I'll give them a try.

Brad,

Did you hear how many contestants they had at Aurora?

Being this was my first R100, how did it compare to the Sparta one which I understand is the Grand Poo Pah of R100's.

Do you think Aurora did a good enough job for the R100 to come back next year?

I know my family had zero complaints.

I was surprised a bit by how few they had in Aurora. I think there were as many, or more, in Duluth last year--and that was just after the flood where it was a mudhole.

I wasn't a big fan of Sparta because I thought there were too many people there. You couldn't camp onsite (which you couldn't do at Aurora, either) and there was a lot of waiting to shoot. I think I waited 90 minutes to start the North America loop--just standing in line, and waiting to shoot the first target.

I did think that they did a good job in Aurora, and I will definitely go back. The only complaint I had was that on the first day they had a fellow drive me down from parking on an ATV. Now I feel bad for the guy, as he clearly was disabled from a head injury (visible scars). But he nearly drove me off the hill at high speed, and he started swerving around when he saw a friend. When I yelled "easy" at him over the motor, he slowed down and told me he forgot I was back there. Again, I feel bad for him and wish him the best, but I don't think they should have let him drive people.