• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

leaky boat

fatfinger

So I got a new old boat & I like it.all aside from the 10 or so gallons if water that drained out after 8-9 hrs on the water.I found leaks along the rivet seam.looks to me like maybe the old sealant or gasket is rotting or cracking or something.there is also water dripping from the keel but I suspect that's the same case there.

Is there s way to re-seal the seam?there is a floor and flotation foam on inside.do I need to remove the foam and get at it from inside? Am I screwed?

Typically this is because of rivets that have loosened up over time... the best way to fix it is to get at the inside of the boat & re-tighten them.

If you have a "good" trailer, you can fill the bilge with water (with the plug in the boat) and watch closely where it is leaking.. that might give you a better idea of how big of a challenge you have ahead of you.

marine_man

Thanks.that was what I was afraid of.what about the sealant/gasket too? Should I dig some out and replace it? What kind do I use? I did find and chalk a few leaky areas.how "good" of a trailer? Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to avoid the old b.o.a.t. acronym- Bust Out Another Thousand

I had a leaky boat once. Many of the rivets leaked and it actually had a hairline crack or two. I went the cheap route and it never leaked again. It is possible to replace the rivets without ripping up the floor. If you drill them out and replace with closed end blind rivets. I bought the rivets from Fastenal (make sure they are closed end!)...and make sure to get a good heavy duty rivet gun. Dab a little epoxy on each one before replacing. As for any cracks, depending on where they may need to be welded. I had one directly on the keel that had to be welded, but have also done a patch. if you have a crack small enough to patch, drill at each end of crack so it doesnt spread and you can patch with a piece of aluminum. I did this by cutting a rectangle piece to cover the crack and riveted all edges about a 1/2 inch apart as well as through the center around the crack. put a bunch of epoxy on the aluminum patch and on each rivet to seal. Worked for me, it wasnt pretty, but had the boat for about a year after work and it never leaked a drop.....good luck! Don't know about the gasket. I replaced about 25 rivets and patched two cracks for under a 100.00

Thanks guys again.haven't had a chance to do too much but I did discover a boat repair shop off in the swamp and woods about a half mile from my moms house.ol family run place been around for about 30 some years.talk to him tomorrow.ill post what I do and how it works for future leaky boat owners.PF4ever-yer a lucky sob.im a HUGE FLOYD FAN! I picked muskie opener over roger waters last year.big mistake.weather and fish didn't cooperate but I hear he put on a great show.Boooo.

Thanks guys again.haven't had a chance to do too much but I did discover a boat repair shop off in the swamp and woods about a half mile from my moms house.ol family run place been around for about 30 some years.talk to him tomorrow.ill post what I do and how it works for future leaky boat owners.PF4ever-yer a lucky sob.im a HUGE FLOYD FAN! I picked muskie opener over roger waters last year.big mistake.weather and fish didn't cooperate but I hear he put on a great show.Boooo.

Good luck with your boat and yes, helluva show