• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to goose hunting

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips to a newbie on goose hunting? I'm in east central Minnesota and was thinking about trying the early goose season. I have never hunted geese before and don't know much about it other than what I read in the regs. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Erik Torgerson

Well...you should have been trying to line up fields that last few weeks...if you're intent was to hunt fields. You don't really have much time left. It's pretty tough to locate good fields and gain access this late..especially when others have already been there.

For water...this is easy. Just find a body of water with birds on it. Wait 'til they leave...then go set up a spread where they were roosting...or as close to it as possible. The bad thing is...you may and probably will only have one whack at 'em. unless you find an area that's heavily used. But if they are in small groups...they'll tend to all stay together.

find some one to hunt with. Otherwise some info that I learned. Early season small family groups of 4-7 decoys set out in a pattern that leaves the landing hole in shooting range. A U, W, J, X etc works for a reference. Decoys are helpful -- 2-3 dozen work, a dozen will work just as well if placed well. Calling is learned and can be the challenge--get tapes, talk to others etc. concealment is as important. Match the cover that you are hunting in. IF you would like to go out hunting you can email me at [email protected]
good luck