• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'06 Merc 50 4stroke versus '12 60 Merc - plug changing

BoxMN

My cousin (who will likely read this) has older 50, and I have newer 60. Should be pretty much same motors I think. He is having problem getting to the bottom spark plug to change.

I got to my bottom spark plug fairly easily, with a universal and extension, and am just wondering if his should be the same or different due to the different ages. Some of the online comments seemed to say it was all but impossible, but on my newer one it was pretty easy.

Should his be the same as mine, or did the compartment change over the years to make it easier? I didn't need to remove coils for any of my plugs, just used a loooooooong extension to reach through it all, along with U for the bottom. Thanks, just want to know what to expect if I help him.

Yeah, i guess I put the years in the subject. This is not my 50, but my cousin's 2006 50hp fourstroke Merc. He is having trouble getting at his lowest plug.

I have a 2012 60hp fourstroke Merc, and changed my plugs last week. I got at it fine, a bit tight, but fine.

He says that he has something in the way keeping him from accessing it, and many others (from online searches) had the same issues dating back to like 2002 vintage of that motor.

I was just assuming that my motor is the same basic motor, but wondering if Merc changed the compartment from his "slightly older" 4 stroke to my newer, since I didn't really have a problem getting at mine.

This is not the Classic 50 that I also still have, which is totally easy to change plugs smile

Thanks for info! smile

This is the cousin that cannot fix anything. I got it done last night. By following my two much more mechanically inclined cousins advice, I got that last plug out and replaces in less than ten minutes. I spent over one hour on that thing the night before and failed. The cousins said to use a universal join on the wrench. I went and got one and that was the ticket for getting the last plug out. The new one was tough to get treaded on correctly but I got it done.

Because these two guys are so much more handy than I am they always make these projects sound easy. Trying to keep up with them, I now know how to change the lower unit oil, change the regular oil and now the plugs. Each year I do these basic maintenance projects, they take less time.

Next year, the plugs will only take a few minutes and I will not throw my wrench through the drywall. I still need to look inside the house to make sure I did not throw that thing all the way through the wall. I put some white duct tape over the hole in the wall so the wife will not notice it and I need to buy a new wrench to replace that one (unless it went all the way through the wall and into the bedroom).

Haha! I am not mechanically inclined, just not afraid to try stuff out, as most things are not that tough really.

Next will be doing your own water pump! You are due for it if you have never had it done before. Pretty easy, but an extra set of hands is key smile Along with a vise to hold lower unit while replacing - that helps a ton.

And some beer to keep you lubed correctly wink

Are you volunteering to help with the water pump? I will buy all the beer and pizza you need to help me with these projects. Would you do the impeller at the same time? I have the impeller kit but need to get the water pump.

Every time I talk to you about fixing one thing, you tell me I need to fix something else!!! You keep telling me to fix stuff that is not broken yet. Stop it!

Impeller kit is the water pump. Same thing. It's called maintenance, so things don't break and it keeps running properly smile That is why we are still running a 30+ yo motor which has never needed a true "repair", and a 15 yo 150 that gets more usage in one year than many outboards in MN get in a lifetime. Ounce of prevention, haha! wink