• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how often to charge battery?

mrpike1973

Most guys will charge it immediately after a fishing trip. Try not to let your battery life fall below 40% if possible. If you do, it could lose charge. Your motor does not give much charge to your battery so charge it as often as possible. If you do this, your battery should last a very long time. Went through 3 AGM batteries to teach myself a lesson.

Don't know what charging system you have but if you have 2 batteries or more, I recommend an onboard charger.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...ing_help#UNREAD

It depends on how you are using it.

Think of it like a car.

If you started your car once an hour and only ran it for 5 minutes at a time.....and then had the radio on the other 55 minutes, eventually your battery will be dead.

If you run your big motor on your boat a fair amount and use minimal electronics with the motor off your battery will be fine.

If you have a big graph and a radio going all of the time with minimal big motor use, it would definitely benefit you and your battery to top off after every use with the charger.

I make it a point to plug in my onboard charger as soon as I get home. the onboard charger I have is a distribute on demand type charger(only sends the amount of amperage needed to fully charge the battery without sending to much amperage that could fry the battery). once full charge is reached it kicks into the trickle charge/ maintain mode automatically. I would recommend you look at onboard chargers.