• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Terrova 55 fuse/installation

Sherpa

I bought and installed a terrova 55 this week and I'm wondering what size fuse I should use. I am thinking 40amp. The wire is 10ga. I also think I will put in a quick disconnect due to reading about people frying boards inside while charging batteries. Does this all sound right? Anything I'm missing?

OK so now I see that minn kota suggests a 60 amp breaker. From what I have read 10ga wire is not enough for a 60 amp breaker. Also, I am planning on keeping the TM battery up in the bow. So I will not be running a very long power supply. Hoping to just use the factory installed wire.

It is a voltage drop thing, at least in part. 10 ga. is about 1milliohm per foot. So if you have 6 feet of wire each direction, that is 12 milliohms, and at 40 amps you lose 1/2 volt. If you have 12 feet in each direction, you lose a whole volt.

Also 10 Ga. wire is rated for 40 A at 90 degrees C. So it will get pretty hot, and might exceed the temperature rating of the wire you are using.

So, you could probably get by with the 10 ga. but you would be better off with 6 or even 8. Depends to some degree on how often and how long you will be using WOT.