• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pressured Geese

I have been having a tuff time lately getting geese to decoy. What types of spreads or calling techniques are working for the rest of you. Any tips would be great. Looking to hit it again Saturday. Lots of birds around but they are real educated.

Labby -

Most of us are having the same challenge with shy birds. A couple things you might want to try: Changing the look of your spread may help. If you're using large #'s of decoys, try a down-sized spread. Sometimes a couple dozen well-paced big feet will do the trick. The geese are seeing good-sized, similar looking spreads all over the place these days, so any differentiation you can offer may help bring the birds in. Another trick I like to pull out on occasion is using a spread of super mags only. A lot of folks are using big feet these days. Sometimes the added depth of the super mags will draw them in, especially if there is a lot of pressure in the area. Also, listen to what geese are saying. If they are pretty silent, don't go crazy on your call - even try no calling.

That be me, CS... Did we meet via Mike Wallerak, aka Walleye Pimp? Or am I thinking of someone else?

We've been shooting some, although things have slowed down dramatically since the warm weather came back. We went from shooting 20 to 30 every morning for 2 weeks straight, to singles digits.

If I'm not guiding, I've been hunting Oronoco geese & having some decent success here and there. Have you been out???

Labby: I also agree the geese have been tough lately. A few suggestions that have worked for my group are that we switch over to all big-foots and motion decoys this time of year. I am also a big fan of flagging I feel that flagging and motion is the key to decoying late season geese. Another tip I would try is to find fields the geese are feeding in, they are alot easier to decoy in a place they have been then to lure them to a location that's unfamilar.

Geye pilot I dont know if we have met through Walleye pimp or Mr Gilbert. I am friends with both and hunt with both. I have a hot field scouted for this weekend near Austin. I think I am going to hit it Saturday morning. Let me know if you want to go. I hunted by Oronoco last year once with Pimp and Matt from Oronoco.

Awesome Labby... Matt is one of my main partners in crime. Thanks for the invite, I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to guide tomorrow (Friday), but I haven't made a plan for Saturday a.m. yet. There is some weather on the horrizon, so I think the hunting is going to turn around in the near future. Get pumped!! Can you shoot me a private email or give me a # I can reach you at???

D, you better get up early. I plan on sitting on that one friday after work until morning. J/k. Not real sure what`s up for sat. yet but you bet I`ll be in the field all day if it snow`s. Should be a good weekend. Tempted to run west to the lake`s for a last crack at those mallard`s. I know I will be southeast of town, how about you. Flip

Flip -
Looks like we have are eyes on the same field. Do you want to partner up so we are not calling against eachother? Give me a call. If you are going to hunt tonight I am open to that also. let me know 507-438-7252 all day

G eye use that number to get ahold of me. Tell Matt Hi.
Lab

D, hope the brain ache went away. You didn`t miss to much. Passed up a couple of should of shot`s and ended up with a duck and a goose. The birds went the other way out of town this morning. A bunch pilled in behind echo on the hill. Pick-up took a dump so it might be a couple of day`s without field access. Try to hit em this week if it stay`s cold. Flip