• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What shotshell and tube for Coyotes?

I have read so mutch the past week I am totally confused on what coyote tube to buy and what size shot to use/test/pattern. I have read everything, one says this, next one says this is bad, next one is totally in the other direction. There must be some consensus..... one minute I think Kicks Howler tube and a Hevi Shot Dead Coyote T shot..... the next minute its Black Cloud 3 1/2" BBB with a Black Cloud long range tube..... and then a Carlson's Coyote tube with plain old #4 lead buckshot.....

Very confused

Use a Full or Turkey choke in your 12 Ga. Then BBB or #4 Buckshot. Thats what Im prepared to use after much reading and talking to varminters. Good out to 50-60 yards max. i believe a turkey choke is the same as a coyote choke. You choose the manufacturer. All those choices are fine and will kill at that range. Lastly pattern your shotgun at those ranges with both loads. You'll have your answer.

Bigcloud,

I use a full or extra full turkey choke in my Mossberg 935 with #4 buck. It patterns really well with a Jellyhead choke out to 40 yards. I don't know about any farther than that though. I tried several chokes before I settled on the Jellyhead. Works real good with #5 shot for turkey too.

Rob

Ya.... I think #4 Buckshot wins out to 50-60 yards. Pattern your shot of course. Turkey or ex-full does it at that range. Your fav after that, needs to be rifle probably. Choose 22-250 or bigger. In MN its usually a flat stout bullet. Out to #350 yd. Know your MOAs rather well. Hope your good at Med Range! Long range 300+ you already know your "dope". Figure your shooting will probably be one towards night or dark. Plan a night light source. Easy over a deer kill vs a "Calling stint". Good luck

I patterned 3" fedral #4 buckshot at 40 and 50 yards with a extra full turkey tube..... looks really good!! I'm set for a shotgun. I ordered a Savage model 25 Lightweight Varmit bolt, in .204 Ruger. I should have alittle range with that and it should be great for praire dogs.

Thanks, and good luck!!