• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inflatable PFD

Tom7227

I have enough points at Cabelas to get one for 'free'. The obvious choice if it won't cost is the Guardian Series. I have never even looked at these things. Anyone have any experience and advice about different choices? Typical overweight old guy with a 48 inch waist.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

I bought one about 5 years ago (angler series) at the time since they were running a heck of a deal on the manual/auto one.

I have been using it ever since and find it very comfortable to fish/boat in. However, be sure to keep an extra PFD in the boat since the inflatables are only considered a PFD when worn. (removing it for various reasons....add/subtract layers of clothes...etc)Alot of times, I kept the extra wrapped around the seat cushion for a little extra padding.

A few years later, I bought my father the guardian series (another good deal) to be a bit more comfortable in the boat on the long days. Retirement has been good to him and it fits him comfortably.

I had the chance to wear his once, and I'd recommend going with the guardian series over the angler...and the reason why is it is a lot more comfortable on the neck. After a day/weekend of sun/wind...the back of the neck can get a little raw. The Guardian series is designed to be a lot more comfortable around the neck.

I have told friends to get the auto/manual one over just the manual one....it's just common sense.

Not a bad idea to pick up an extra "arming" kit just in case and keep sealed and dry in the boat.

Steve

I own one and love it. Do not worry about it going off in the rain, that won't happen. If you store it in your boat it can deploy by itself in the summer time when it gets real hot and humid under the cover. That happened to me last year. The only issue I have had in 5 years.

Good advice to have a spare rearming kit on hand.

One thing to keep in mind, NEVER NEVER NEVER put anything like a coat or rainsuit over the vest. If you fall in, the outer garmet may prevent the vest from fully inflating, so it will push you chest in preventing you from breathing. That is bad.

Mr. Mickish,

Why won't it go off in the rain? I have never even looked at one so I have no idea how the jobberdo that makes them inflate is housed.

Any suggestions on make/model? The only reason I have focused on Cabela products is because I opened the catalog I got last week.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

They have a device in them that measures the pressure, when it is submerged it goes off

There you have it. I think it takes 3" of water pressure to set it off. The device is at the bottom of the vest so if you fall in it will go in deeper than 3" and set it off.

After mine popped in the storage compartment last year I did some research and that is not an uncommon thing. I just store it in the garage now. Changing out the arming deal takes about 5 minutes and is not hard.