• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would you buy a dog that does not pass the “CERF” test??

S.D. Ice Angular

(CERF) = Canine Eye Registration Foundation

I am not familiar with this test and how important it its.

The breeder I am speaking with claims “it will not affect the dog’s life in anyway it only means she should not be breed for future litters”. That part is OK by me, because I would have her fixed just after her first cycle anyway. The dog is currently 9 weeks old.

She is a female yellow pointing lab (exactly what I have been looking for). I just don’t want to drop huge money on a puppy that will be blind by age 5.

Anyone have any advice on this???

The CERF test will see if the dog has or will have eye problems then the dog is reistered with the foundation. Has the dog been tested and found to have eye problems? It doesn't mean that the dog will ever be blind it's just a test to eliminate any breeding that will genetically pass this disease on to future litters. It's the same reason dogs get their hips tested.

You need to find out why it failed. Certain eye problems WILL cause it to go blind in its life time. If it failed solely because of retinal folds, it most likely will never know it has them and they most likely will not have an outcome on how it hunts. Only in very severe cases of folds will they have a blind spot or two... I would say you are fine to proceed with the purchase but should be buying at a reduced price. They would have received a piece of paper from the opthomologist. Have them tell you why it failed and then base your purchasing decision from there.

Good luck!

Ken

Agree it may not have ANY affect on the dogs vision, and the Doc will be able to tell you that but it for sure should be at a reduced price, regardless. If you haven't already told the breeder you would spay the dog don't, it will or should be spayed regarless but don't let the breeder know that was your plan from the get go, in there mind they have a " lemon " and will most likely have a problem getting rid of it, it this case be a " Smart " buyer....

At the very least, I would ask to see the the form from the opthomologist and write down what the opthomologist said; a copy you can take with you would be better. I wouldn't necessarily take the word of the breeder. Then call the opthomologist and get an opinion of how the puppy's life may or may not be affected.

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread. I am in the process of finding a vet Ophthalmologist for CERF test. Does anyone have recommendations. I am southwest of the Twin Cities, however, I am open to suggestions.

Thank You!

Mark

I've also brought my dogs to Dr. Olivero. He is very friendly and professional. He is my first choice. Due to appointment availability this year I went to Dr. Larocca in Andover for their CERF testing and was also pleased.

I've also brought my dogs to Dr. Olivero. He is very friendly and professional. He is my first choice. Due to appointment availability this year I went to Dr. Larocca in Andover for their CERF testing and was also pleased.

Both are very good and have used both.

Not sure what his term 'broad' folds refers to... But I'm guessing it means many or large. Either way, it will probably have some impact on its marking ability. Will it progress? Most likely not. Hard to say exactly how it will impact its marking ability, but the reality is that it might.

My feeling is if you get a fantastic deal, go ahead and give it a try. Sounds to me like your focus is for an upland dog and it will probably do fine in that scenario. You may have issues with some longer marks in the duck blind or goose field. Obviously it should never be bred. Tell them you will buy it without papers for $xxx.xx. Insert the amount you are willing to pay here. If you cover the breeders expenses, that should be all they should realistically hope for. I think if you find out they are holding out for any kind of profit on this pup, it would tell a story about them and make me seriously think twice...

Good Luck!

Ken