• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 Lund Rebel: Where to store batteries for Bow trolling motor?

TroutYammer

Hello:

I want to get an electric bow mounted trolling motor for my older 2000 16Ft Lund Rebel. The only obvious place to store the batteries would be under the seat (piano hinge storage under the front seat).

The problem I face is that my current deep cycle batteries barely fit under the front seat and sometimes make contact with the aluminum bar attached to the lid...thus setting up an arch welding operation in my boat. To avoid making this electrical contact I put a rubber mat on top of the battery (INSULATOR).

1. Do they make deep cycle batteris with a smaller height? Or are they all about the same height?

2. Is there a better location to store the trolling moor batteries?

Appreciate all and any help -

What does the layout of that boat look like?

I seem to recall there area couple of storage spots in the bow, and one under the trolling motor?

Or was this the style that had the flip forward storage locker with the seat pedestal mounted to it?

marine_man

On a friend's explorer with a similar arrangement, we put one battery in the covered bow, and ran wires to the rear of the boat for a second battery either on the port side (if you have space there) or we fabricated a bracket and mounted it in the center of the stern.

marine_man

Not knowing your specific boat, I would suggest that you could look at adding height to your storage bin in the bow. Remove the hinges and attach an extra inch or two of marine-grade wood to the top of the box, making it just tall enough to hold the battery.

Another less sightly option is to get one of those plastic battery boxes. You can move it around anywhere and it does pretty good in the rain.

Otherwise you'll need to find a place in the stern and run long wires to the bow. That may change your boat's ride by adding extra weight in the back