• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lauderdale archery range?

MaxGoldman

I can find some of the known archery shops/ranges on google, but I'm wondering if any of you know about an outdoor archery range in Lauderdale by the U of M golf course? My roommate just informed me he heard of it and said it is just a few hay bails you can use for practicing. I couldn't find anything about this online and I'm not familiar with the area but it sounded a little fishy at first.

Anyone know if this is true?

I can find some of the known archery shops/ranges on google, but I'm wondering if any of you know about an outdoor archery range in Lauderdale by the U of M golf course? My roommate just informed me he heard of it and said it is just a few hay bails you can use for practicing. I couldn't find anything about this online and I'm not familiar with the area but it sounded a little fishy at first.

Anyone know if this is true?

Yes, I shoot there in the summer a bit. It is at the city park on the corner of Roselawn Ave and Fulham St. There is a parking area with two excelsior bails at the base of the hill on the NW side of the open area.

Sometimes people go up on the hill behind the bails while you are shooting. Be aware of who is around you and don't shoot if anyone is up there. Also sometimes people just walk right across the field while you are shooting and are completely unaware of the danger. There is also a bicycle path along Roselawn Ave and the angle is a bit dangerous so I stop shooting as cyclists or walkers are going past the targets.

The bails are pretty shot up, you should bring your own to set next to or in front of them.

If I remember correctly, you can get about a 45yd shot standing back next to the dog area fence. If nobody is around you can shoot at an angle across the field by the south corner of the dog area, I think you can stretch those shots out to 60-70 yards.

I'm not sure exactly which spot Archerysniper is referring to.

The location at by St. Anthony Parkway and Century Ave is also a decent spot with fewer people around. I used to shoot there about 7 years ago when I had a job that had me driving past it every day. Very convenient for me at the time. They used to have 5 or 6 excelsior bails there and the city took better care of them, replaced them more often. It was a good spot for long range shooting, but you end up standing way back on the bicycle path that runs next to it. Gotta be careful of cyclists there and not shoot when the ride closer to the bails. I also once had some railroad workers on the tracks behind the bails so that ended my shooting session, that only happened one time though.

If you want to drive a bit further, go up to the range on Lexington Ave off the west side of Turtle Lake. There are at least a dozen shooting lanes there with trees between the lanes. A few of those lanes you can shoot up to about 55yd, some only go as far as 20-30 yd though. Again bring your own target just in case, a couple years ago they were shot up real bad. I think this past summer they got replaced though. I always end up picking up trash at this spot, people leave paper plates, broken arrows and all kinds of junk by the bails. Also if you are shooting in a lane that has people in the lane next to you, usually nobody pays attention and just walks up to get their arrows while you are shooting. Makes me super nervous when people do that...

Anyway, those are the three spots I am familiar with. I work over by Energy Park Drive and 280. In the summer I like to shoot over lunch break at the park by the U. If you ever want to meet up to shoot together, let me know, my work schedule is usually flexible and I need an excuse to shoot more often. smile

Sometimes people go up on the hill behind the bails while you are shooting. Be aware of who is around you and don't shoot if anyone is up there. Also sometimes people just walk right across the field while you are shooting and are completely unaware of the danger. There is also a bicycle path along Roselawn Ave and the angle is a bit dangerous so I stop shooting as cyclists or walkers are going past the targets.

This is exactly why it sounded fishy to me, it sounded like there would be people around and anytime people are around you can bet a few lack some common sense. Whether I'm shooting a gun or a bow I take it very seriously, just have to be patient with those not knowing the potential danger I guess! Sounds like a great place to bring a target though, thanks for the info Cheetah.

I'm not sure if I'll be around for some summer shooting (might be moving back home), but as the temps warm up I plan to get out shooting and any sort of company could help since I just bought my first bow last summer, so I can still learn quite a bit!