• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lure Modifications

I was not sure where to put this, so I figured this section would have the most knowlege about the subject. I am trying to solve a problem I have been having. I am trying to attach single hooks to my spoons. It worked ok last year just reusing the splitrings, but it is a tight fit int he eye, and sometimes it binds up making the hook hang to the side, and destroys action. I really want this to work, as there only seems to be benefits of single hooks and no drawbacks. I never missed a fish yet, and have rarely hooked weeds. With the season ending, I am willing to take on a little project. I have found a few possible solutions. One is use a hook called a Siwath style hook (I think thats the name) which has an open eye. This would allow me to close the eye myself, and have a bigger eye. Is there anything wrong with Siwath hooks; weak eye, bad style in general? The best option would be to find a hook that already has an extra large eye. I am using gamakatsu octopus hooks now in sizes 2/0-8/0 depending on the spoon. I would prefer it to be barbless, but it does not have to, I have just been bending the barb down. Another thing I have considered is downsizing the splitrings. But they seem weak enough already, and I replace them every year because they bend. Stronger rings, for their size atleast, are bigger around, and might even be worse. The last thing is solid rings. Is there anyway I can attach a solid ring to a spoon? If I could do I need anything special to weld them? I am stumped, but am not ready to go back to trebble hooks yet; memories of cleaning off weeds, and tearing up fish are still fresh.

On a helpful note, I discovered a way to hold your bait in place on a single hook. My hooks have smooth shanks, and I always like to use a trailer like a rubber grub or lil hustler (a huge advantage of single hooks, and definately improves lure action/fish attractiveness), but they used to slide down. I simply cut a small peice of solid wire and bent one end up. Then you simply shrink wrap (I actually used electric tape) it upwards like a rear facing barb. The barb holds the bait on. Its not new technology, but I could not find a worm holder style hook in any "aught" sizes, only small ones.

The siwash hooks are what you want. You should be able to find open or closed eye styles. Gamakatsu has open and closed eye styles to 8/0.

Gamakatsu makes a straight baitkeeper shank worm hook to 5/0 for sure if that is what you are looking for.

Your barbed wire idea is something I have used also. If you shrink wrap the barb to the hook and push your hook thru the worm up to the barb from the rear instead of threading it on the hook it should run straight and stay on also. This is done before you attach hook to split ring of course...