• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun Dog Training

I have a 6 month old yellow lab and am trying to get her used to gun shot for this fall. I have had her exposed to some shooting at trap ranges. Being that I live in the cities It's hard to do much training with the gun. Is it legal to shoot on a public hunting areas even if it is not during the hunting season, or am I limited to private land and game farms????

Unfortunately you are limited to private land.(Or your own if you have any)I don't think you can even use a training pistol. I'm in the same boat with my dog. The only other thing you could do is enroll yourself, and your dog in a dog training course where they supply an area for you to practice shooting over your dog.

On-Line Retrievers up in Ogilvie trains 'em and has a membership thing where you can bring your dog up and work it on his ponds and fields. You should be able to get birds put out too. My 2 yr old chocolate is up there now getting tuned up for the duck opener!!