• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mercury 40 and 60 bigfoot fourstrokes

knoppers

I am in the market for a new pontoon, and looked at a couple that had these bigfoot motors. my main question is, I do a lot of trolling with boards for pike, and was woundering if the 40 and 60 would troll down slow enough pushing a 20' pontoon? also any feed back good or bad on these motors.

I have a 16.6ft LUND with a 50hp 4 stroke. With a trolling plate, I can get down to .75 mph.

I would think with the mentioned motors on a pontoon, you should be able to do that trolling but you may need a trolling plate or a dift sock at worst.

Guess one would have to compare boat and pontoon weights to know for sure.

Have 2 friends with the 60BF and they have been very happy with the preformance of the motor.

I have a 22' toon that I have a 60 (4stroke) Bigfoot on. Has 4 bladed prop, can't recall if it is 11 or 12 pitch now... I actually have to bump it up just a tad to get to my desired pike trolling speed. I don't have GPS on it, but I think I used phone once and my desired is a hair over 2 mph. Possibly at idle speed it is right at 2 mph, but can't recall.

As for the motor, I can't say enough about it. Quiet as all 4 strokes are. Sips gas compared to my previous 25hp 2stroke rig, and less than half of my Classic 50 (though I still love that motor too, haha!)

I got it new last Memorial Day, put exactly 100 hours on it, and it never skipped a beat - errr, once it stalled on me when going from trolling to WOT, not sure what happened, but that was the only time in 100 hours, and never did it since. I followed break in procedure to a T.

Kids can wakeboard or tube or ski (slow) behind it, and holy cow does it have power with the bigfoot and 4 blade prop! Holeshot! smile Top speed with a few people on board is 21.x gps speed. Changing oil is easy. I have no complaints. Good luck.