• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing Buddy for Ice Castle

nortin1962

I would say don't waste your money. I would just repack the bearing every year and be done with it. Your icehouse wheels are not getting dunked in the water every time like a boat trailer. I know my icehouse bearings are going on 5 years old and look brand new with just a simple repack each year. The only reason I can see doing it is if you are putting on thousands of miles each year towing it.

Hey ootdoors, thanks for the reply:) I bought my house last november and have not packed the bearings yet! I thought it would be a good idea to do this , but my buddy said that you have to tear the wheel and hub off to do it:( I have used the house 2 times to low from the cities. I am wondering if I will be ok for 1 more trip this thursday before i have to repack them? I would hate to think that they cant go longer that 2000 miles. I have new cables on it and have greased the pivot points.

Tim

Tim, I guess I should have mentioned that it's personal preference. You will be good with that amount of mileage. I wouldn't worry about doing anything until after the season.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't mind popping the wheel off and inspecting the parts once a year. It's a little piece of mind for me to know everything is in tip top condition. It's a pretty cheap route to take to. Just a little grease and an hour or two out of a spring day. I do my boat bearings in the fall and wheelhouse in the spring.

Once again, it's really personal preference. I'm sure you could put them on and have no problems.

I would do it once a year no matter what. Like said peace of mind goes a long way. I wasn't going to do mine this year since I had only about 500 miles on it. I was doing some other stuff to it one day and I gave the wheel a spin and sounded like it was going to fall off. Glad I caught it when I did. One side had gotten water in it and rusted the bearing.