• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teusday off...

I have tommorow off and was thinking about trying north lake as well. If you want to go I am game. I only have a canoe and and have to see what the weather is as far a wind. If it's too windy I wont take the canoe (cold water hyper lab, and big waves make me nervous) . I would probably try to either hike my way down the railroad tracks to another smaller pothole off the main lake, or try another lake entirely. Let me know if you want to try North Lake, I am willing to give it one last shot.

I was scouting North lake this morning and its pretty iced up, but there were two trailers and a trail where they had broken through. I have a fishing boat (not camoflaged) and a canoe. I've towed the canoe behind the boat before, we could try that. Otherwise I'm open to hiking to a pothole or something.

I'm up for the canoe if you think we can break through the ice. If the main lake is mostly froze then the smaller lakes around the tracks might be froze completly. Did you see any ducks or geese? I was out to one of the smaller ones a few weeks ago and it was really slow. But I've been reading that lake pepin and all along the river from St Cloud all the way down has been good. Plus it's the one place I could think of that would be open and might have ducks. I don't know I'm gonna be online for another half hour or so then I am gonna go to bed. I guess if I don't hear from you and want to try north lake just post a time you would like to meet and I can meet you at the access, it can be morning or afternoon it doesn't matter.

I really don't know of anyplace else that would have open water and ducks. I would say rice lake in shakopea but I'm was out there on the 17th and the ice was almost too thick to break.

Hmmm, not sure what to do, Ice will be too thick to crash with a canoe, but we could use the big boat. Its mighty cold tonight too.
Otherwise I'm open to Pepin, but have never hunted there and am not sure where to go.

I also have all day, so time isn't a huge concern, whatcha think?

Think we can break the ice with the big boat? I've never hunted or fished on pepin before, so I would also have no idea where to go. I don't know what to say. I guess maybe north lake or pepin in the in the afternoon would be my guess.

Heck, lets try it. (North) If its way to frozen, I'd be open to doing some exploring round Pepin. If you don't go out, your chances of getting ducks are real slim. I'll bring the boat and my canoe (already loaded) You bring yourself and any extra decoys you may have. I'll leave my dog at home (he'll hate me) because of the cold. You can bring yours if you want. I'd like to get out earlier than later, but I'm open.

Ok should we shoot for the morning? Meet at the access at 6:30 or so? How does that sound I actaully have no idea what time sunrise is at tommorow so earlier or later it doesn't really mateer to me. Just let me know.

Ok I'll be there, and hoping for the best. As for the dog I don't know yet. She follows me around the house like she thinks I'm going to go hunting without her or something. So I guess it depends of weather or not I can get out of the house before I feel bad about not taking her.

Well it started off bad, got worse and ended being ok. Got to north lake, and you could walk on the ice. We tried the vermillion river. A few deer hunters had broken the ice but we had a few problems with the motor. Then the ice proved to be too much for the canoe, and paddles, could have used a push pole. Talked to another group of guys who also had given up the idea of the boat and just found some open water just down from the access and tossed out a few decoys. We sat with them for a little while. Saw lots of ducks but they had no intrest in the vermillion and we all headed towards the river/lake pepin. I guess we all knew it wasn't happening. Tossed in the towel for the morning. Went field hunting in the afternoon and saw several monster flocks of mallards, working another field. Had one flock of 500+ mallards buzz us at about 100 yards. That was exciting, we were quacking at them and they were quacking back at us or amoungst themselves. We really had no chance of decoying them into the field with our little spread, but that might have been the biggest flock of ducks I've ever seen. Had a flock of 20 or so geese start to lock the wings and come in but sort of side slipped our spread and went else where. So no birds, but having that big of a flock of mallards come over was a good way to finish out a excellent season.