• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip Up Rigging

Walnut18

I am sure this has been asked before but after a few misses this last weekend I thought I would ask. I was using a braided tip up line, swivel, 12 inches of flourocarbon line, swivel, leader with a treble hook. When tying to a swivel I use the old 7 times around and through the loop then back through the loop way of tying on. Pretty sure twice this weekend the line just came untied and I lost the fish. What do other people do when tying and setting up tip ups. I love setting them out and hate struggling with them when I am not settin them up correctly. Anybody have any tips to improve my success. Thanks for any information.

Hi all,

I bought my first tip-ups, well two of the orange Frabill ones that don't freeze. I am just wondering if it is a simple installation of the line, as in typing the line onto the metal offshoot and then wind it evenly around the "roller", if you will.

I appreciate this very much!

s7_190410_999_01_zpsebc36b22.jpg

You dont want to tie it on the "off shoot", thats your line guide. You can tie it directly to your spool and secure it with electric tape and then wind your line on.

As far as the original poster, get yourself some premade tipup rigs if you are fishing northerns. Make sure they have or are made with some sort of wire leader material. Tie directly to your tip rigs swivel.

If you are fishing walleyes, use a longer leader, 4 feet is a good starting point. With thicker dacron line, securinh it with a palomar not is key. Match the size of the hook to the size of your bait.

Dacron line to spool: Arbor knot

Dacron to swivel: Palomar Knot.

My leaders for walleye fishing are 3' give or take; 8# Flourocarbon in most cases. Improved clinch knot is how I attach the hook to the flourocarbon leader, with a surgeons loop at the other end.

For Northern Pike I use BigTooth Tackle Co. Natural Rigs. Just attach to swivel and you are ready to go.

Good luck!