• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes through the BWCA on tip ups

WyoChris1

Finally have some time off this year and planning a trip to the BWCA. I'm going to haul a sled onto Pine lake and go after some walleyes. In general, I have had a lot of luck with a jigging rod, but I can never seem to land any walleyes with tip ups. Are there any tricks or common mistakes tip up fishing for eyes? I usually take a standard tip up, put some black ice line (20-30 lb test), then a hook through the back of a shiner minnow. I will add 1-2 snap on weight to keep the bait down by the bottom. This has caught me several pike, but never any walleyes.

I don't know about ice fishing on the BWCA lakes but I fish walleyes a fair amount on inland lakes in Wisconsin. I can easily say the ratio of walleye caught on rods vs. tip-ups is 8:1. It seems while watching the flasher using fatheads and ice jigs or fatheads w/ a red hook, they will come up first and look and only after you raise it up a foot or so, they'll turn around and nail it. Meanwhile the tip-ups outside sit without any action. Good Luck.

I have had fairly good luck catching walleyes on tip ups. I always tie 6-8 lb mono on the bottom of my tip up line. Northern's will break the line from time to time but you will catch more walleyes. Also when I put the flag under the spinner make sure it close to the edge so when it gets bit it doesn't take a lot of tension from them to trip the flag. Many times they will drop the bait if they feel the tension. Hope this helps and good luck up there!