• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surface Drives and Long Tails

Kettle

Been looking into getting a different setup next year for ducks, I am seeking input from duck hunters and trappers on this one. Just curious what your set up is? Length and width of boat, motor and horsepower, transom height and angle. I have heard some horror stories on having a good boat a good surface drive yet having them not be the proper fit. I'm trying to get something in 16 foot range for under 8000$ is this doable?

Thanks

Kettle

I have a 18 HP long tail on a 1436 with performance pods and a 15" transom and it pushes it nicely.

A buddy of mine has a 1648 crest liner

with a 20 hp long tail with a 20" transom

And he goes faster than I

I have heard that if your stuck with a hyper/ short shaft your stuck good,

I have yet to go somewhere that I couldn't get back out.

Thanks for the info Dan Z, do you have a standing handle bar? I hunt a variety of situations, have you run yours in any open water areas with some rougher water? What speeds are you/your friend getting? Do see a significant difference with the performance pods?

Thanks

Kettle

I have a 29hp surface drive mud buddy on a 1448 war eagle. It does about 26mph loaded with 2 guys dog and dekes. The surface drive is an overall faster motor. It has a better hole shot and gets you out on plain faster than a long tail due to the angle of the drive. The only advantage a long tail has is when the boat is grounded. The long tail will have that extra long reach to get to water to push the boat out. My boat is a short transom that used to have a 25 hp outboard. I didn't need to add pods because the draft wasn't low enough to need them.

Doing some reserch online, looking into the new 25hp subaru motor in a surface drive just do to the fact the amout of open water I do to get to the spots where I need a mudmotor. Maybe at somepoint I can own both grin I will keep everyone updated when I purchase, I have a investment property I am getting rid of this spring so after that is the plan. Does anyone know the thickness of a boat they are running?

Kettle

my brother made his own surface drive motor. He had a 8hp honda horizontal shaft motor, i think he used gears and chain from a snowmobile chain case, he turned his own shaft and bought a prop off the Internet. I am amazed on how well this thing works with 2 people and gear in a 1542 jon boat it will go about 10. Not super fast but we are in 1" of water with thick mud. I will post pictures soon.

He has a 650 air cooler honda motorcycle motor he wants to rig up next.