• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LX 7 Flasher in Shallow Water

Blackhawkxp

Recently purchased a LX7 as a early christmas present for myself. This happens to be my first flasher and went to local lake which is around 5-6 feet deep. I am having trouble dialing in my jig as a small line on the graph as shown in many videos. Not sure if this is due to the shallow depth? Does this happen to all flasher across the board in shallow water? I set the sensitivity as low as possible and adjust target adjust but I just cant get a small line no matter what I do. I am looking for suggestion and maybe I am just asking too much in this situation. Hopefully able to get out on bigger lakes this weekend.

In my experience it is tough to get your jig to show if it is too close to your ducer. That is same experience I've had with Marcum Showdown, VX-1, and FL-22 in real shallow water.

How shallow are you talking and how thick is the ice in that spot?

5.5 to 6.0 feet water depth and around 6-8 inches of ice. I can pick up the jig just fine it is that the jig signal is so large it kind of hard to pick up the seperation when you are close to the bottom. I realize the cone area is around 1.5 - 2 feet with the 20 degree sensor but it is basically the first time using it on ice and would like to get the most out of my purchase. I guess i am trying to find out if there are any tricks to the trade that I am not aware of.

Try adjusting your ping rate to the lower or lowest settings, adjust your range, maybe set it to 10ft then play with the sensitivity numbers. You cannot use dynamic in less then 10ft.You can also try putting it in the narrow cone angle mode to see what result it gives you. Also adjust your target ID to the lowest setting.

That is kind of a trait of the technology. All sonar systems have a depth scale. manual adjusting (like a flasher) or automatic and manual mode (like fish finders used in boats). In shallow water the distance from the transducer to the bottom of the lake is relatively small in comparison to the maximum depth reading most units are designed for. The small blob you view as your lure will become a more precise line as you venture out into deeper water where the sonar signal has a longer return back to the transducer. Its the nature of sonar. Every sonar has the same basic effect, but each varies a little based on how the power (watts), cone angle, and depth scale come together. Tuned correctly though, its not uncommon to have your lure look like a blob in less than 10ft or so, and be a thin line in 20ft or 30ft. also, if you're in 8ft lets say, you can't always see your lure right beneath the ice as the cone (viewing radius) gets wider towards the lake bottom. You're transducer should not be lower than the ice. keep the cord short. 3" under the surface will be fine. It can read through the edges of the hole for the most part.

Marcum makes great stuff. Don't forget to reread the manual or bring a knowledgeable friend along. From what you stated it Sounds like its working properly. Experiment a little bit in deeper water when the ice is safe enough.

Good Luck

I use mine in water the same depths, just keep messing with the settings and you will get it dialed in. I think I was messing with the ice / open water setting as well. I never got around to writing my settings down last season or I would tell you exactly what to set it at. I know that I did not use the flasher dial, I did use the chart, vertical and vertical zoom at the same time.

What version is your software? Mine is 2.9

The only thing I haven't tried was the open water setting. Hope to get out this weekend and see if it helps. Thanks for all of the help. I guess my expectations may have been a little exaggerated since alot of the demo videos are shown in deeper water. With my limited experience i didn't realize the issues with shallow water and sonar. I never had an issue marking the jig, i just couldn't get it to display like i had seen in the promos.

I have the 3.01 firmware on the unit.

I have fished as shallow as 8 fow with my LX-7. I have mine in open water mode and had the sensitivity and target adjust turned way down in that shallow water. 10 foot depth range. Pretty sure I was using the wide beam but don't remember for sure, and have no idea where I had the ping rate set. It worked well for me. Good luck getting it dialed in.

Since you said it was your first flasher, I will also add that you want the bottom of the transducer about even with the bottom of the ice hole. Higher up and you will get the signal bouncing off the ice and cluttering the display. Any lower and you're going to tangle with fish, and in shallow water like 6 fow you will be shrinking your viewing window.