• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying my first 4-wheeler

FishSystem

Question

I am going to get a new quad for ice fishing. Haven't owned one before, and was just looking for any good tips or advise.

I am not even sure on which make or model I will get. I only need one for towing the gear out. I always use a 2-man portable (sled type) and I don't think it ways more than 2-300 lbs with all my gear. I was thinking that a 350 would be enough. Gonna get a small (4x6?) trailer to pull behind my truck.

Any brands to avoid?

any accessories to recomend?

Dealers to check out?

I really appriciate the help. Thanks and have a happy holidays!

9 answers to this question

i dont own one, but i figured i would throw you my 2 cents for Honda's, as I've used them hard for work and helping out at some of our relatives farm a few times.

I used to work for DU and helped out with nest dragging, (pulling a 200' chain in between 2 wheelers) and we used Hondas, they were beat to heck all day in the heat and other nasty conditions and they never skipped a beat all summer long crews were running them. same with moving cattle, we used Honda's and they worked awesome, if i were to buy one, thats where i would lean towards, the electric manual shift and auto shift were awesome features.

I got used Honda 450es and it has been great. With the ES model just keep the battery charged and in good shape and shifting works perfect. Also looked at Polaris 325s as buddies have them, and they are plenty strong enough for pulling shacks, plowing, etc. and I believe pretty reliable, or at least that is what I have been told.

Bigger is nice, but not a necessity from what I can tell. I do have a rear drop basket and I love that feature - can carry a lot of stuff in that basket! Makes hooking up hitch a bit tougher, but I am fat and can do it easy wink

300+ will be fine for what your asking, 4x4 is a must have. Hand and thumb warmers help with the cold, a windshild might be nice also. Hondas usually have the best resale. I'd stay away from Chinese and Korean brands. And trailers with a ramp are a lot easier to load than the tilt type.

Wheelers owned. 2 Honda's 2 Suzuki 3Yamaha 1 cat.

Honda here as well. I'd go with rancher or foreman fm. Windshields are a must for winters. Look for the cobra brand. They do tend to be cold blooded. Viper or warn would be a winch I'd choose.

You can find smoking deals on Suzuki at times. Okay for the money if you don't beat on them.

Yamaha are supposed to be good but have not been happy lately with a few.

Would not get an article cat. Out of the 4 we''ve had, this been the worse.

I would say go with a Honda, Polaris is a great ATV and would say go with them, but they are cold blooded for a winter ATV. I would say look at a Recon, They are a 300cc Mid size atv,I think they go for around 4,000.00 new, would work great for what you want todo. Or if you want a little bigger look at a Rancher.