• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike Lite Carb Cleaning

Neiko

Question

I thought I had dumped the gas out last year but must not of. Dumped it out and put fresh in. Wouldn't want to fire up so used some starting fluid in the spark plug. After 4 times it finally would stay running with the throttle being feathered. When I let it idle it dies. I have to start it with half choke. I am guessing the old gas may have varnished up a little so was wondering if I could just spray carb cleaner in the air filter if I remove it or do I need to pull the carb off? I am no carb guy so hoping to just spray it.

3 answers to this question

Take a minute and think "what will solvent spray in the throat of the carb clean"? The answer is likely not much more than the inside of the carb bore, and that's not where the problem lies

If you have no idle, the motor runs poorly and needs choke to start/run, and particularly if it wont run at full throttle without some choke, you have dirt or "varnish" clogging the carb's fuel circuits internally. The way to take care of that is to remove, dissassemble, and clean the carb. You may want to have a carb kit put in while it is apart to get a new diaphragm and inlet needle as well.

Sorry for no easy answer here but those little carbs are tough to keep clean and runing right after storage.

Yep hydro is right. No easy way around it. I had to do the same Durn thing a week ago! frown

The funny thing. I have an old Mag III that I have had for about 15 years now that I use as a backup. I have never done a thing to winterize it. Nothing. Last year I started it once just to run it. My Mag 2000 would not start and had to clean the carb even with Staybil in it. For fun I took out that old Mag III with the old gas in it. A few pulls and she fired right up! smile

I was talking to the guy at D-Rock when I was in there last about it. He said the newer carbs are made a little different for pollution reasons and they seem to clog up a lot easier then the old carbs. I think he is right. wink

I would agree that I had very few problems with my old mag 3 auger running when I had it for many years. But I think it has less to do with carbs and more to do with gas these days. I think with the faster turnover of fuel in large fuel tanks has things stirred up more and the sediment doesnt settle or gets sucked off of the bottom. Alcohol also loosens and detiriates stuff. The reason I say this is I usually find more grit and gunk in carbs than I used to.