• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling plate or somthing else?

Amature Hour

I've been thinking of getting a trolling plate, but I was wondering how well they work? Or should I look into using somthing else. (a drift sock, smart tabs) It's for a yamaha 50 2-stroke. The problems I've been having, is that the motor dosen't idle down low enough for trolling raps around, or I'm always shifting in and out of gear, for back trolling too.

I would venture to say that your boat isn't very big, and a bow mount trolling motor might be the best route. Trolling plate will slow you down as will a drift sock. I'd invest in a trolling motor for your 2mph or less trolling and anything above use your 50hp. What speed does your boat idle at?

I have a 70lb trust trolling motor, that i can do 3mph with, but trolling raps all day wears the batteries down. To the point where I cant change to back trolling. And it seems to me that I have better control with the main motor anyways. With the main the slowest I can do is 2.3-2.5mph.

Also I don't see what the size of the boat matters but it's a 16ft alamacraft.

Bags would be my first choice also. I used two 30 inch bags on a Crestliner 1850 Sportfish with a 150 on it for years trolling for walleyes on the Lake of the Woods and it worked great. Electric trolling motors work fine much of the time, but there are many days when you need more.

Boat salesmen always try to sell you the biggest motor that the boat can handle. They are quite convincing at it too.

I have an older Lund 16' (rated up to 50hp) with a 25 hp 2 stroke tiller on board. A Bow mount electric motor and one on the transom. 3 drift socks, two small and one big. They all have there time and place in the boat control game. I deem them all necessary.

When I want to get down to < 1mph and there is a 10-15 mph wind I will use the big drift sock tied to the hook on the front of the boat (the one for trailering(?) the boat). This slows the boat and really seams to anchor the boat to the water and keep the boat from being blown around by side winds. You will definitely notice a difference in the handling of the boat. When back trolling the front of the boat will not swing around as normal when turning around. The pivot point of the turn will be at the drift sock not somewhere near the front of the boat.

If there is little to no wind, the bow mount shines.

The two small drift socks are for drifting in windy conditions. One tied to the front of the boat and one to the back (drifting sideways). I then use the two electric motors to make corrections in the drift. For thoughts who know me, Yes I have been known to drift, once! grin

Fill your livewell, put a cooler of water in you boat. Weigh your boat down so it sets (displaces more water) deeper in the water. Heck find a 300lb + fishing buddy (that ott to slow you down. grin

Remember when your buying a fishing/trolling boat that the salesman doesn't care. He just wants to make the biggest sale possible. He will most likely try to sale a motor to big for trolling and a kicker!